May 07, 2024, 03:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pioneer Run - Epsom to Brighton for pre 1915 motorcycles - Sun 13th April 2014  (Read 2753 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »

The 75th Pioneer Run for pre 1915 motorcycles, Sunday 13th April 2014.

The Sunbeam Motorcycle Club has organised the Pioneer Run since 1930 and it is widely recognised as the premier event for pre-1915 veteran motorcycles.
The run starts at Tattenham Corner (Epsom) and finishes at Madeira Drive on Brighton seafront.

Check website for details/amendments
http://sunbeam-mcc.co.uk/calendar?view=2014-4

The 2013 event was to be the 75th running of the event but had to be cancelled due to horrible weather.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10152.0

The Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club
PRESS RELEASE.
The 75th+1 Pioneer Run to Brighton for Veteran Motorcycles.
The Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club was founded in 1924, and promoted the first Pioneer Run
To Brighton in 1930. In 2014 the Pioneer Run will be held on Sunday 13th April and will be the 75th event. The event being cancelled during WW2, and to the following fuel crisis. 2001 was also cancelled due to the nationwide outbreak of Foot & Mouth disease. And unfortunately the 2013, cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
This historic event, promoted by the Sunbeam MCC Ltd: is a milestone in the veteran motor cycle movement, and will attract the largest gathering of pre-1915 solo’s sidecars, tricycles and quadricycles in the world and represents a unique opportunity to see so many historic machines in action. It is anticipated that 370 or more entries will be received.
It should be noted that from now on all machines in this event will be 100 years old or more.
Promoted under an ACU International Permit, the event attracted more than 57 overseas entries from France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Eastern Europe and U.S.A. this year more are expected
The 2014 Pioneer Run will start at 08:00hrs from Tattenham Corner, Epsom Downs by the Mayor of Epsom & Ewell, and from there the 47 mile route follows the A217 through Reigate, to join the A23 at Gatwick, then diverting to Handcross, Cowfold and Henfield, to re-join the A23 after Pyecombe Hill.
The route continues through Brighton to Madeira Drive where the first arrivals are expected from 10:00hrs.
Awards will be presented by the Mayor of the City of Brighton & Hove, together with the Mayor of Epsom & Ewell in the Sunbeam MCC marquee at 14:00hrs.
The 2014 event is sponsored by: Bonhams Auctioneers, The National Motorcycle Museum, , The Classic Motor Cycle magazine, & Carole Nash Insurance.
With Riders being sponsored to raise money for Help for Heroes
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:04:37 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »

bounce

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »

Following the cancellation of the 2013 event due to snow and frozen roads, the 2014 event saw itself running in the warm April sunshine for a change.

Riders departure starts at 08.00, so yours truly and Dslam arrived just before 07.00 (which meant we were on the road at 06.20 - yawn.....), before just about all the spectators, and most of the competitors.

A wander round the paddock revealed so hugely interesting machines. Bearing in mind these manufacturers were the "pioneers" of motorcycling and the internal combustion engine in general, (all pre 1915, some as old as 118 years) there was huge variety of designs on offer.

In the photos, there's a Wilkinson, which has four cylinders, is liquid cooled and shaft drive. There's the oldest known Lagonda (as in the car marque).

The first bikes away this year were machines that ran in the first Pioneer Run back in 1930.

Photo shows the starting area being assembled

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

The area which later filled up spectators bikes

Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »

The first machines away at 08.00, these were machines that took part in the 1st Pioneer Run back in 1930 and include machines made by Dreadnought, Rudge (Multi), Triumph, Sun-Villiers and Humber

Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »

Lovely Rudge Multi

Tony oily bike

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »

The Wilkinson

Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »

The oldest known Lagonda, from 1904. The motor is a Lagonda-built 1200cc V-twin. Rear suspension is basically swing-arm using leaf springs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:26:52 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »

Check out the number of levers on the fuel tank..................

Tony oily bike

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

1913 Triumph with a wee bit of exhaust smoke............ me thinks it may have wet-sumped a wee bit!

JayJay

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »

Cheers for the photos Tony. We had intended to go but I cancelled because I didn't feel up to it after having my Grandsons all week and then the Valley Gas do last night. Rick was still going to go but in the end, he didn't make it either. Mind you, there were three events we wanted to go to today; we managed one of them (Salisbury MAG). When they all clash like this, sometimes something has to give. We did manage three events and Newlands Corner last Sunday but we did start out at 5 in the morning.  Undecided

It is brilliant to see all those fantastic machines at the start line and then see them at Brighton (well most of them). I'm just glad they had some decent weather this year as just riding the bikes on our potholed and congested roads seems hard enough without having to contend with s**tty weather as well.

JJ  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: