May 05, 2024, 08:49:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice little project...  (Read 7547 times)
markju

« on: May 16, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »

Picked this up from Martock in Somerset today. 1952 James Cadet, with 122cc villiers engine.
Not been touched since mid eighties, and had been propped up in a lockup.  Owner finally decided to get shot off and that's where I come in.
Engine sems nice and free, all gears select, but overall condition is obviously very tatty/ rusty/ needing tlc. I'm off on holiday for week and a bit but when I get back I can have a good look over. All frame/ fork components etc that are black are going to be blasted and powder coated and all chrome bits redone.
Got a large crate continuing the bits not fitted and at first glance it all seems to be there. Fingers crossed.
As you can see by the profusion of ratchet straps I didn't want it coming loose.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:14:01 PM by markju » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »

That's a pretty little thing.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
markju

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »

Is very pleasing on the eye.
After an afternoon of sorting through the spare bits that came with it, it does appear at first glance that it is all there. Could be a mare trying to find rare items. Smiley
markju

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »

Just a small update. Sent some bits of for re chroming. Sure they've come back looking better than they would have done when new. Lovely job. Smiley
Had stripped a fair bit of the old paintwork and re sprayed starting with etch primer. Although due to being a bit off colour to say the least for these last two weeks, I relented and dropped the last bits into the local sprayers to blast clean and etch prime. Such a good price I really wish I'd dropped the other bits in now. Live and learn.
The engine seems fine, although haven't started it yet. Everything is being done in a particular order (haphazard) .   Looks like its had a new piston and rings, rebored sometime in its life. Had to replace the clutch springs and re-cork the clutch plates. Something I'd never done before. Boiling the new cork inserts on the hob until they're soft enough to squeeze into the plate. Waited until wife was out before I misused one of her saucepans. Smiley. By the time she got home, the evidence was all washed up.
That and a handful of new gaskets and cleaned and reset the points, got a nice fat spark there. Couple that with the carb having been thoroughly cleaned and new seals, can't see a problem starting. FAMOUS LAST WORDS !!

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/markjuggins/f8f00466db4b1e6743662daaa6c75dcd_zps0cnq9wvm.jpg
Nice little project...

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/markjuggins/b17e6078b7ffc4be6f7748b968e0d041_zpsaua0i6p5.jpg
Nice little project...
twisted

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

looking good sir  Wink

a man with a fork in a world full of soup
scannerzer

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »

hi Mark

looks really good. re posting photos thread in general section, all i get above is a link which when i click it shows me a pic,i assume thats the same for everone. when posting if you click insert hyperlink(symbol looks like a world with an envelope at the corner) them paste in you link you should get a photo in your post. hope this makes sence and is of help

edit now the pics are there so maybe disregard this reply

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »

all i get above is a link which when i click it shows me a pic

I think you get this sometimes if the pic is slow to load...  maybe.....

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
markju

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:41:09 AM »

hi Mark

looks really good. re posting photos thread in general section, all i get above is a link which when i click it shows me a pic,i assume thats the same for everone. when posting if you click insert hyperlink(symbol looks like a world with an envelope at the corner) them paste in you link you should get a photo in your post. hope this makes sence and is of help

edit now the pics are there so maybe disregard this reply

Does make sense. I'll give that a try next time, thanks for that
markju

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »

Well coming along nicely. Started after just three kicks. Not bad seeing as it's not been started for thirty years.
Spraying is all done. I've learnt a hell of a lot doing my own spraying. Big list of do's and don't's. And that's why we do these things to learn, not just to keep out of the wife's way. Smiley And it's fun of course.
Hopefully another good days work or so should see it ok for a test run or two. Then I will have to have the wheels off as both tyres are well past their best. Also where the wheels have been re spoked there is a bit of run out on both so that needs sorting. And little things like finish the wiring, check its charging so on. Have to keep reminding myself I'm not in a race and to slow down a bit. Also need to do a major tidy up of the trike but that's going to have to wait for a bit. Hopefully pictures of the restoration to date are below....

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/markjuggins/de04c6313bc3bd4266a3bb3a6db90a6f_zpstgzto9ns.jpg
Nice little project...

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/markjuggins/9e784724f497f5142324bf8a061c5966_zpsikaqevat.jpg
Nice little project...

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/markjuggins/7974242920cde96f8116ed95d6dde1e3_zpsclh9shpr.jpg
Nice little project...
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »

That's looking rather lovely Mark.

markju

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »

Why thank you sir. Smiley

As far as refurbs go, it's not been a bad one. Next big step is out on the road. I'm thinking top speed of 35 mph. Maybe touch more. Smiley
goose

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »

very nice mark .
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »

35mph?! That's madness! Surely the human body cannot withstand such velocity?

markju

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »

35mph?! That's madness! Surely the human body cannot withstand such velocity?

Grin   Grin   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: