May 06, 2024, 07:55:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: su/stromberg carb on a guzzi le mans  (Read 4579 times)
WAYNE999

« on: April 08, 2015, 05:58:29 AM »

Hi I've been away for a bit but her we are again
I've recently re-commisioned my guzzi trike after a long lay up . It's always ran really rich but it is running the wrong carbs for the bike and the only place I can find a pair of the original phf carbs are gutsi bits in west yorkshire at £125 a side for re-build.
I'm not bothered about being the fastest thing out there as long as it runs well and pulls away cleanly.
So I thought about making up a manifold and fitting a su or stromberg carb which are easier to work with and a lot cheaper and a bit of achallenge does anyone have advice regards jetting etc.
Also in the shed I have a pair of strombergs from a 70's Triumph 2000 with a re-build and correct jetting would one of these do the job Huh

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »

I think any carb will do the job, its just getting it right, you can over carb though, air has to reach a speed as it passes through, to big and the air is just to slow. Found this out on a rolling road session recently.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »

Also in the shed I have a pair of strombergs from a 70's Triumph 2000 with a re-build and correct jetting would one of these do the job Huh
Think those would be CD150 carbs. Possibly a bit big. I'd look for an  1.25" SU or CD125

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:26:50 PM »

Something like this then? I'm using an 1 1/2" H1F4 SU on my 3 Wheeler project, supplying a Honda GL 500 "V" twin motor and it runs fine, although Coppersmiths point re air speed is of course correct and relevant, however I just happened to have this SU, so....if it proves "grumpy" low down I shall swap it for a. 1 1/4", so we shall see. The Strombergs should be ok, or rather one of them as that's all you will need, new diaphragm and a good clean, make sure the main jet is centralised, and.............suck it and see Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy, what fun!! cheers, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »

This shows my Honda "V" twin motor with an SU fitted......................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
WAYNE999

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »

The photo of the guzzi engine is exactly what I had in mind.
Thinking of re-building one of the pair I have and rapeing the other for parts making a manifold and see what happens
Still have to mess about with ignition timing before I start as it's only running 1 and 1/2 cylinders
By the way I love the copper plumbing on the cx engine Grin

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
minimutly

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »

A 1.5 inch his su (late mini, metro 1000) would be my choice, nice compact carb, not too big, and a huuuuuge range of needles available. Not saying a stormberg won't work, but they are not so well serviced with needles and spares.
Huw
Farside

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »

My GS850 with an SU HIF38. I had a 44 on it for years, but gasflow was rough at the lower end, so a couple years ago put this on - pulls like a train now up to 90+mph. The manifold (ex Avenger with 'zuk flanges) is good for 115mph in cfm terms, which the 44 could do.
Yellow spring, ADR needle, 30mm thick K&N pancake, stub stack. The combo of all those things works on this engine.

An overview of the installation, with daft little pancake filter - thrown in the bin, as it was strangling the thing...

The K&N element, which had been on the HIF44 from day one...only reason I didn't re-use it was lack of fitmentalityness; soon solved that.
http://i.imgur.com/ojuYUtn.jpg
su/stromberg carb on a guzzi le mans
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »

That's an interesting set-up.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: