May 05, 2024, 11:18:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Crunch time  (Read 17913 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »

I honestly don't know -I've never had a bike tested. I'm waiting for someone to do it cos I'm building a hardtail chop myself! Most people just don't seem to bother re-registering custom bikes, even though they've usually cut the original frame in half & added new sections. I figure there really can't be much to test so it'd probably just be the positioning of lights & stuff & a decibel limit.
Didn't Blair put a chop through the MSVA a while ago?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hornet6

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »

Yeah.... but I,ve built this frame myself so it will need a vin plate.

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »

Mr Kapri's our resident registration expert, but several forummers have put trikes through the BIVA. I'm assuming the process will be similar.

digger06

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »

is it just the pic or is it very low? looks like the frame will hit under hard braking?
Olds

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »

MSVA for bikes is the same as for trikes. The vehicle has to be finished enough to ride on the road. Lights footrests exhaust etc. and must comply with the MSVA manual. Paint is not required but that's about it. For a VIN you used to be able to make up your own or you can apply to DVLA to allocate one to you.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
hornet6

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »

Ok thanks for the advice, so I can carry on now making my bits n pieces for it. Digger.....the frame is low, but the tyres are completely flat at the moment. I think once the new tyres are on, and inflated, it should raise it a couple of inches. Dont know at the moment which way to go with the tyres. I was thinking of using some of those old retro styled rubber.....or maybe trying some big trail bike knobblies on it. Wheels are from a kwaka gpz 1000rx and are both 16 inch.   

hornet6

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »

Hi. While we,re on the subject of tyres....where would I be able to buy some of those old style tyres from,and would they be available for 16 inch wheels.  Also, the footrests....do they have to be folding,or can they just be like a solid welded fitment for msva. 

hornet6

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

Forgot to tell ya.......Met up with a guy on facebook, whos a friend of a friend from when I was at school. He's into hot-rods and the whole custom scene, but most impotantly, he's built his own big spray booth in his garden. Big enough to spray his own v.w transporter in with plenty of room. He's been round and looked at my build and offered to prep and spray it for me.....all he wants me to pay is the cost of the paint.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:44 PM »

Cool!
By old style tyres I assume you mean crossplies? They have to have the appropriate speed rating for your vehicle but apart from that I guess you can use them.
You could try North Hants Tyres in Aldershot, Hants for car crossplies & Jackhammer Speed Shop in Farnborough, Hants for car & bike ones. Both have websites.

Olds

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »

Don't think there is a requirement for foot pegs to fold on bikes but check the MSVA manual.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/366046/msva-manual.pdf
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:05:29 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
hornet6

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »

Tried the engine again, and only firing on 3 cylinders. Took the plugs out and supprisingly the three thats firing look a nice biscuit colour, so it looks like those pancake style air filters are working ok. One of the spark plugs is completly dry, which suggests to me that theres no fuel getting through.So, the carbs are now off and ready for a stripdown and clean.   

blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »

Hi Hornet glad you are back at it , i built my own frame as well but it was 3 years ago since i did my msva test so ive forgotten quite a bit although im almost ready to do it again with my current build

for the chop there were several things that had been be , firstly you can either make your own as Olds says or the dvla will issue one , you will have to get this hard stamped onto the headstock and then get it inspected by a garage , they will sign the letter the dvla give you , cant remember if they stamp it with the embossed stamp like they did with old mots

once thats done you can apply for the msva

the tail light must be central and all lights to be E marked

the side stand must retract once passed a certain point and must be held in the up position " cannot be flopping about "

if you cannot  fit a steering lock you will need to fit an electronic imobilser . this can be a simple toggle switch , the type you can remove the red key from . fit this to the negative side of the batter ... a chain and padlock are no longer accepted

the noise limit from memory is 99 Db the reading is taken at a certain rev range but i can remember what ... mine just passed

oh and it must have the manufacturers name on it ! , i made my own but stuck a sticker on it so he asked if i was the manufacturer ...erm... yes i said

no sharp edges . petrol filler to be flush.

they did do a brake function test , but i cant remember them checking the disc thickness or rotation

other than that i dont really remember it being that bad and the tester i got was pretty fair and understanding

this is mine with a tank protector on , this was to hide the height of the filler cap, also the tail ligts are fitted to a temp carrier frame , this was for the test only

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_1245.jpg
Crunch time

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/bummer2220/IMG_1244.jpg
Crunch time

hope that helps

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:32:21 AM by blair » Logged
hornet6

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 09:50:06 PM »

Sorry about the delay...I have,nt been on here for a few weeks. Cheers blair and olds for the info. My tail light is central, but mounted to the seat. I,ve started to make my tanks now. The filler cap and neck is from a suzuki ts 185. Its not quite flush,so I might have to put a cover round it like you,ve done. Also, I intended not have a tacho fitted to it....just the speedo. I will have to put some photos on here soon, maybe at the weekend when I got a bit of time.

hornet6

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »

This is how it looks at the moment. I,ve cut out the old filler neck from the TS 185 tank and welded it into the tube.

hornet6

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »

These tanks are,nt finished yet, but I think it will look pretty good when its done.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: