May 16, 2024, 03:48:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fork tube swap  (Read 2489 times)
Clive

« on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

I reckon I probably know the answer to this but, would I be able to fit a set of forks with a tube diameter of 37mm in place of a set with a 33mm diameter?

The reason I ask is the set of forks from the Hartford sat in my garage would look great on the CJ, they have discs and calipers, wire wheels, good tyres and everything!

had a quick look at the rear one, and that might swap too!!

Clive
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:51:31 PM by Clive » Logged

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
tbone

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:01 PM »

Wont be a problem, assuming of course you swap the yokes too, and thats where your problem could start, not only have the steering pins got to be the same length but the outer bearing diameters need to match too.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Clive

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »

Knew someone would say that!!!  Sad

Any idea how I could compare them without taking them both apart?

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »

Most steering stems are a press fit into the bottom yoke. You may be able to fit the stem from one into the yoke of the other. Or have a new stem machined.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:45:47 PM »

Unless you are able to get the bearing dims. from elsewhere, you will have to strip the steering head to measure the bearings. Once you have the dims. you may well be able to match up a set of taper rollers to suit, I have done so on many occasions. The stem length you can obviously obtain without the need to strip the steering head.  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Clive

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »

Thanks all!! Cheesy Sounds too difficult for me, so I'll give it a miss!

Clive

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: