May 04, 2024, 10:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silled -not. Janie's Consul.  (Read 2462 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: August 05, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »

Dave & I have been working on Janie's Consul today. 9 hours in the blazing sun, welding new sills on. Well, welding one side on anyway. They come as 3 seperate panels, that weld one inside the other to form a box structure. Welding new metal to rust or, in some places thin air, ain't easy, so not the prettiest welding in the World but seems strong enough now. I left Dave to sand everything back reasonably smooth with the angle grinder then we'll have a go at the rest. Amazingly the rear door fitted on, (after Dave had dropped it on his foot -owww!), & shut perfectly. Dave declined to have a go at welding so I had to set fire to the soundproofing on his behalf. Only did it once. Don't know what all the fuss was about. Tongue
So damn hot out there today. I drank 9 or 10 cans of Coke during the day & sweated them all back out again.
We were rewarded for our efforts with a tea of burgers & sausages by the fair Janie though, so I went home a happy bunny.  Smiley
I'm off for a much needed long soak in a cool bath now. See you later doods.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »

Janie's Consul was bought for spares for Dave's, but turned out to be too good to break. His is a '59 Deluxe, hers is a '60 base model. Both are pretty cool cars in my opinion.

Me, attempting to weld Dave's steel toe cap to the sill.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »

Plainy Janie

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:48:39 AM »

I'm extremely grateful to both guys.  And can only stand and watch as she comes together.  I promise that her first trip out, apart from to the MOT station, will be round to Mankys for a cruise through the countryside, (as I expect you will have moved by then).

Its a shame the gazebo didn't work for you, the sun managed to creep in underneath it, all day.  You need to get yourself some overalls manky, instead of a long sleeved jumper. 

The Old Manor Cafe is now on Facebook.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:06:36 AM »

Had an old workshop sweatshirt on to lessen the spark/bare skin interface scenario, but Dave & I were both struggling in the heat.
Nice to see Chevy Rick by the way, when he called in with his son, & good luck at the Dentist's today Janie!

reliantman

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »

I always wear just a t shirt, and end up regretting it when I burn myself, and as for the welding, its all in the wrist action. Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »

Yup, keep it moving, nice & smooth.
The original metal was so thin in places I was burning holes through it rather than welding, so had to keep chasing it back to thicker stuff. Still in pretty good nick for a 47 year old car though.

Plainy Janie

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 09:00:04 PM »

Yes you guys were terrific yesterday.  I shall buy you a long sleeved grandad style top, with the buttons down the plackard.  Its probably not your thing, but its thinner than a fleece and with the long sleeves it will keep you scar-free. 

As for the dentist.  The less said about that the better.  Of all the treatment I've had over the years, I've always dreaded having a tooth out, and today my fears were confirmed.  I nearly passed out, they nearly called for Dave to help me walk back down the stairs to reception, I've had two stiches in the side of my gum, and its still bleeding now.  My appointment was this morning and I can't smoke for 24 hours.  Angry Angry Angry  NOT A HAPPY BUNNY.  Cry

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »

Plackard? Is that one of your strange old 50s words?
If I were remotely sensible I'd wear proper welding gloves. We bought 2 pairs when we started on Flap's trike. Never worn them once but the thought was there.
Poor old thing. Liquids only for you at Alton on Wednesday night then.

Plainy Janie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »

Yes I'm afraid its going to have to be a liquid lunch tomorrow night.  My face has swollen up nicely thank you.  And yet Dave has been so brave and quiet about his dental treatment, bless him.  I'm not a rufty tufty braveheart biker, I'm afraid. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: