May 15, 2024, 01:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carb Cleaner?  (Read 1825 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« on: March 08, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »

anyone recommend a carb cleaner, the sort you leave the carbs insitu and run the cleaner through while the engine is running?

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
bitzman5

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »

iv used REDX in the past put in fuel find good straight duel carrageway and givit a bit of stick(70mph) will throw lots of smoke to start then clear job done

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »

thanks for that. i dont really have the opportunity to blast down the road at the minute so need something to use in workshop. there seems to be so many brands of carb cleaner that im sure someone may recommend one  Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »

When the GT was running like a bag of nails Toad recommended using carb cleaner, I think the one I used was actually called 'fuel system cleaner' but can't remember the make.  He said to use a double dose each time I filled up till it was sorted - I did and it was.  Last time I used the Redex one, did the same job.

Just as an aside, a mechanic told me to use this in a car engine before the MOT if there was any doubt about passing the emissions test.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »

Used to use STP, and Wynns (maybe showing my age) and then RedeX.

RedeX was added to the fuel tank to give a progressive clean as he fuel was being used, but with the air filter off and the engine running, a quick squirt sometimes was order of the day (along with a splutter from the engine as you did it).

Not sure what these do with regard to catalytic converters, so suggest worth checking beforehand.

I’ve used Carplan’s “Carb and choke cleaner” aerosol on old bike carbs with the engine running (again expect a bit of change of the running as you do it). The tin says its OK is ok for cats (sounds like the old Squeeze track).

Hope that’s useful

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: