May 15, 2024, 11:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel tank probs!  (Read 2056 times)
RODeo

« on: August 27, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »

Ive welded a neck into my custom fuel tank that  accepts a normal twist to lock type cap . I bought the cap and neck new from a well known site (cant remember which site!)Anyways,I didnt really go in to this much before purchase ,and now find the cap weeps petrol when the fuel is sloshing around. So Im thinking I will cut out the nicely welded neck and fit a better quality recessed style locking cap.This will mean bolting on a 4" diam. pattress on top of the tank with a curved underside to fit the tank curvature ,and a flat top to accept the cap. .Cant seem to find any sealer that will be suitable as a gasket between the mating surfaces. Anyone know if there is a petrol proof sealer?
          Thanx.......
Cabman77

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »

you might be better off making a gasket to suit the plate that you`re fitting. You can get gasket paper from almost any car spares or old british bike shop, you could even use cork, the type you get on a roll to stick on the wall, I had an A10 that had this for every gasket on it. Add a smear of blue Hylomar to both sides of it and it should be petrol tight.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
RODeo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

I thought that myself,but was wondering if there was some sort of gooey sealant out nowadays!
toad

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »

frost restorations por 15 that.ll do the job Grin

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
RODeo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »

Thanks Toad! I knew I'd seen an odd named stuff in a catalogue somewhere!
            Rod
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »

I've just used the Frosts POR 15 to do a tank at the recommendation of my best mate only last month (supposed to be better than the well known Petseal), good kit as it comes with all the prep solutions, easy to use too.
Costs about £33 plus postage, they’d just got new stock in as its from the states.
I phoned them  01706 758 258 , helpful chap on the other end of the line and quick delivery too.

http://www.frost.co.uk/result_search.asp

Cork was always the traditional sealant, used in petcocks on the British stuff, and I’m stalwart of Blue Hylomar too, can’t remember where I got my last lot, prob an auto jumble (Kempton on 18th Sept I think) but it can be bought through Amazon with doorstep delivery.

If anyone’s likely to  have a gooey tube of wondr stuff that’ll do the job, Loctite has to be a good bet

http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_uke/hs.xsl/homepage.htm

Tony

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: