May 05, 2024, 12:29:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 239126 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #585 on: May 23, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

I wonder if this is why I keep haveing problems with one of the rear lights on my car?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #586 on: June 09, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »

Grin MOT done. Had to ride out to Harewoods of Andover. Very nice guy and VERY thorough. This was the most carefully done MOT I have ever witnessed. Took a full hour and even checked every frame weld !
Came away with two advisories  Sad And a complement on the standard of the trike. Grin

001 Rear wheel bearing slight play offside rear
002 Nearside rear handbrake effort low

But he did admit that he was being pedantic about these, as he could only just feel the bearing issue and the handbrake was fine but the nearside wasn't as good as the offside and passed as an emergency brake system, despite it only needing to be a parking brake (because two separate hydraulic brake systems are fitted).

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #587 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »

Grin MOT done. Had to ride out to Harewoods of Andover. Very nice guy and VERY thorough. This was the most carefully done MOT I have ever witnessed. Took a full hour and even checked every frame weld !
Came away with two advisories  Sad And a complement on the standard of the trike. Grin

001 Rear wheel bearing slight play offside rear
002 Nearside rear handbrake effort low

But he did admit that he was being pedantic about these, as he could only just feel the bearing issue and the handbrake was fine but the nearside wasn't as good as the offside and passed as an emergency brake system, despite it only needing to be a parking brake (because two separate hydraulic brake systems are fitted).
 Checked every weld ? Never heard of that ? Nit picking to the extreme ? But he most likely couldn't believe what he was seeing ? I bet he has seen some BAD stuff ?
When I took martins trike for it's MOT, Geoff the tester made a cuppa,and we chatted for ages,Martin asked him if he was going to look at the trike ? Geoff looked at me,smiled and said OK,but if Stinkey built it I don't need to ? Made my head swell for sure ? Wink well done good sir..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #588 on: June 09, 2016, 03:56:52 PM »

D'oh!
Bad new always seems to follow good. Took a trundle out to the workshop and by the time I got there the temp gauge was in the hot zone. Actually it had gone past hot, yet the bottom hose was cool to touch suggesting no water circulating. We left it to cool then refilled with water. A very gentle journey home and by the time I pulled onto the drive, the trike was doing a pretty good impression of a vintage traction engine. Steam and water being ejected at a considerable rate from the rad overflow.
Either the stat has got stuck closed, the pump has ceased to pump, or most likely the head gasket has gone.
Ho hum.

merv

« Reply #589 on: June 09, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »

Hope it's a simple fix

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
minimutly

« Reply #590 on: June 09, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about possible HG failure Olds.
On the mot test, interesting to hear he found play in the rear wheel bearing, given that its a solid axle with a tapered hub, it would have to be up and down movement, pretty hard to detect - unless the hub is loose on the shaft? Worth checking?
stinkey

« Reply #591 on: June 09, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »

Could just be an air lock ?

Olds

« Reply #592 on: June 09, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »

It's head gasket. Sad
No water in the oil but there is oil in the water. By that I mean, an oily residue on the inside of the radiator and rad cap.
 Oh well, at least I still have the bikes until I get this sorted. My own fault for being in a hurry and thrashing it back from Andover. At my age I really should know better.
Not checked the 'wheel bearing' yet, but yes, first off I will check the hub to halfshaft fit.  I fitted new bearings when I made the axle tubes, but these days one can't tell the quality by the name.

Olds

« Reply #593 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »

Pulled the plugs. Number four is running very slightly weak but that is common on these engines, three is rich with a bit of an oil problem, two is fine, but number one is far too clean at the end of the thread. Looking into the bore, it's wet in there and it's not go go juice.
New top end gasket set ordered and should be here on Monday.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:21:02 AM by Olds » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #594 on: June 10, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »

Is it a problem with the Reliant engine, like my old Hillman Imp engine ?? Are there good quality head sets etc. Plug burn seems a little uneven, as you have said, hope you haven't opened the can of worms !
Olds

« Reply #595 on: June 10, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »

I'm think it will be ok but then I'm an optimist. Number three plug looks worse in the pic than it really is so not worried about that. Just hoping that the head won't need to be skimmed as I believe there isn't much spare metal on 850 heads.
I too had an Imp ( singer chamois ) with a 'head problem' after the wife drove it, fully laden, for five miles in second gear, when the gear change broke. Roll Eyes
It had probably lost all water in the first two miles. By the time it clattered on to the drive the engine was so hot, you could hear the oil boiling in the sump.

digger06

« Reply #596 on: June 10, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »

Yep, could do. The indicators and hazzards already work through the same unit, but it has a minimum wattage of 2 x 21 (+ 1 x 1.2)  Changing two bulbs should be cheaper and easier than fitting a new flasher unit and I'm trying hard to keep costs down. Just a pain that there seems to be a shortage of them locally.

they are about 3 or 4 quid on fleabay, findin bulbs isn't a problem after that,
Olds

« Reply #597 on: June 10, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »

Yep, could do. The indicators and hazzards already work through the same unit, but it has a minimum wattage of 2 x 21 (+ 1 x 1.2)  Changing two bulbs should be cheaper and easier than fitting a new flasher unit and I'm trying hard to keep costs down. Just a pain that there seems to be a shortage of them locally.

they are about 3 or 4 quid on fleabay, findin bulbs isn't a problem after that,
Yep, that's what I did in the end. Talked to only manufacturer of this size bulb in the uk (Autolamps) and they admitted that these would not pass e mark testing but stated that they didn't need to. Had a bit of an argument regarding the use of non e marked bulbs in e marked light units, plus the fact that my amps x volts readings suggested they were only 16 to 17w not the 21w they were claiming.

One good bit of news regarding the MOT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 'wheel' axle bearing. Think the tester must have felt the jack he used rock slightly

stinkey

« Reply #598 on: June 10, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »

I'm think it will be ok but then I'm an optimist. Number three plug looks worse in the pic than it really is so not worried about that. Just hoping that the head won't need to be skimmed as I believe there isn't much spare metal on 850 heads.
I too had an Imp ( singer chamois ) with a 'head problem' after the wife drove it, fully laden, for five miles in second gear, when the gear change broke. Roll Eyes
It had probably lost all water in the first two miles. By the time it clattered on to the drive the engine was so hot, you could hear the oil boiling in the sump.
I got rushed into hospital (seriously scalded) because of a singer chamois ?

Olds

« Reply #599 on: June 11, 2016, 06:22:12 AM »

I got rushed into hospital (seriously scalded) because of a singer chamois ?
Heater pipes ?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: