May 05, 2024, 08:09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 239136 times)
Olds

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »

Grin Grin Wasn't being picky Mr Morrag, just assuming Dave's building for the test, & trying to point out to readers who might not know that fittings like mirrors need to comply.
Grin Got it in one Andy. That's also the reason for buying the exhaust trim. It has to have a rolled end to it, nothing to do with it being pretty at all, honest Cheesy.
I want to get the trike through MSVA first time, so am being very carefull to meet all the requirements.
The footboards will need something on the front edges and the front axle nut will need a cover, I also still need to fit a steering lock or a lock on the reverse lever, because of the test  Angry
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:10:46 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
one arm bandit

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »

hi old loving this build youve got some skills, recognised on you one pic showing the rad /engine that you cap on the brake m/cylinder looks metel, i think i remember rod saying when was building his the cap had to be clear or plastic or somthing?HuhSmiley
Olds

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »

Thanks OAB.
As far as I can ascertain the only problem with the metal cap is that it has a radius of less than 2mm on its bottom lip. You can overcome this by fitting a cover with radiused edges or a shore hardness less than 60A. I intend to turn up a cap cover from ally or brass.
Because the front mudguard is steel I welded in 4mm diameter rod under the front edge.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »

the front axle nut will need a cover

Good grief!!?Huh!!!!  Shocked

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »

It's so that when you're being run over, you don't graze yourself on it Bobbi.  Wink
You can get black rubber caps that fit over the metal Girling cylinder caps. No idea where from, but some of mine have had them in the past.
Didn't someone say a chain & padlock wrapped around the frame somewhere would suffice as a steering lock? My last green trike had a disc lock that clipped onto a tab on the frame when it wasn't in use. I don't think the regs say it has to be permanently in the operating position, just attached to the trike. Harleys use a tab on the bottom of the headstock with a hole in it that corresponds to one on the bottom yoke, so that you can put a padlock through the holes when the steering's on full lock.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
one arm bandit

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »

Thanks OAB.
As far as I can ascertain the only problem with the metal cap is that it has a radius of less than 2mm on its bottom lip. You can overcome this by fitting a cover with radiused edges or a shore hardness less than 60A. I intend to turn up a cap cover from ally or brass.
Because the front mudguard is steel I welded in 4mm diameter rod under the front edge.

sorry old, whilst bashing some metel around today i had this at the front of my mind, you have to be able to access the cap, ie not cover over the top, rod had foot boards and someone posted that they looked to cover the cap,    im just being causious and following you build as im about to cut my reliant trike up next weekend and build a new frame and register it properly.  as you, i dont want to fail on somthing so stupid/simple because the testers having a bad day etc. so all box's MUST be ticked Wink
Olds

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »

Yep, at least when you run over someone and break their legs they shouldn't get scratched.
 I have a rubber/plastic cover for the MSVA but I turned up a brass master cylinder cover  on the Myford.
The idea of a cover is not to close in the mastercylinder just to cover the cap with something that becomes part of the cap.

Olds

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »

Fitted the rear boarding today and dragged the trike out into a rare bit of sunshine Cheesy
I was going to use real wood but getting decent stuff cut to the right thickness was a bit pricey, so at the moment this will have to do, it's laminate designed for use in bathrooms. Looks OK and should be weatherproof enough
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:56:49 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

I wish my truck pick-up bed was as tidy as yours Dave. Very nice.

Olds

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

Thanks And . I'm sure it will be when finished

Didn't someone say a chain & padlock wrapped around the frame somewhere would suffice as a steering lock? My last green trike had a disc lock that clipped onto a tab on the frame when it wasn't in use.
For the MSVA locks now have to be on the steering and/or the transmission. Locks that act on the brakes in any way are not allowed. Seems that locking the transmission in reverse is acceptable.

Olds

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »

Got around to signwriting the front tank today Undecided  not too happy about it though, I was after a period look, seemed fine until i put it back on the trike, now it seems a bit big and my hands aren't as steady as they were but it will have to do. Will do DELIVERANCE on the back tank, but may use something like letraset.
BTW still waiting for that fuel filter. Someone must be building a trike out of the all the bits that don't get delivered  Angry The supplier said he'd send out another.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:32:59 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

Mendalot

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »

Very skillfull Sir, looks great.   Like to think that I can turn my hand to most things, but unfortunately don't have a steady enough hand for that sort of thing Undecided

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
WAYNE999

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

Thanks And . I'm sure it will be when finished

Didn't someone say a chain & padlock wrapped around the frame somewhere would suffice as a steering lock? My last green trike had a disc lock that clipped onto a tab on the frame when it wasn't in use.
For the MSVA locks now have to be on the steering and/or the transmission. Locks that act on the brakes in any way are not allowed. Seems that locking the transmission in reverse is acceptable.
I spoke to a friend today who said a few years ago he welded a tab with a hole to the inside of the gear lever drilled the lever to suit put the trike into first gear the popped a padlock through the holes and this passed
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:37:54 PM by WAYNE999 » Logged

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »

Some mopeds have a clip that snaps over the brake lever when it's pulled on. I guess that's no longer acceptable then.
You hand painted that Dave? I'm impressed! Personally I think it's just the right size.

steven brock

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:08 PM »

Love the gear-stick how'd you select reverse? Sorry if already covered

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: