May 14, 2024, 08:12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rusted in pivot bolt.  (Read 3087 times)
Olds

« on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »

Been really struggling with the rear suspension of the wife's Volvo. Both rear coil springs had broken. which entails removing virtually all the interior trim, to get to the top mountings and the trailing arm control links needed replacing.
One side went ok but the nearside is being a real pig of a job.
The pivot bolt has seized solid in the metalastic bush. Gentle then progressively less gentle persuasion (large club hammer and skinned knuckles) has failed to move it. Soaking in WD40 overnight did sod all. Heat did nothing but produce noxious choking smoke as the rubber caught fire,
Spent all day drilling a line of overlapping holes along the bush and it still will not move.
 As a last resort I am in the process of drilling a 10mm hole through the pivot bolt, as near to the head as I can,  the idea being to break off the head. The other end I can get an angle grinder to. Damn this thing is hard to drill.
This folks is what can happen if you dry assemble components. A little grease at the factory would have made this job so much easier.
Rant over.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
andyrennison

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

sharp cold chisel and cut down to the bolt with a club hammer through the rubber oalong the line you have drilled ?

once you cut through the bush you should be able to hammer it with the chisel to peel it off the bolt ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:08:26 PM by andyrennison » Logged

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
Mendalot

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »

Can you not cut down through the shaft of the bolt, either side of the trailing arm?

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Olds

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

Tried the cold chisel. Didn't work. The centre sleeve is very thick and just wont spread. Even tried using my big SDS drill with a chisel and just ended up with a headache. It's as if the bush centre and the bolt are one thing
I can't get the angle grinder or hacksaw in to cut through. Really need something like a body saw. Perhaps would be a good excuse to get one seeing as SWMBO wants her car back.  Wink

kapri

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »

B&Q do Alligator saws at reasonable money.
Olds

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »

Cheers Kev. Will see what they have.

Olds

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »

Just looked at the parts bill from the Volvo dealer and realised I've paid £3.54 for one M12 nyloc nut  Shocked

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:24 PM »

And you thought I'd paid too much for my welding gas?!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »

Roll Eyes
Hooray, done it. Because the bolt hole in the chassis is actually a slot to allow for the eccentric, I managed to free the pivot bolt by driving a hardened steel wedge along the  bush from the nut end.
Think the neighbours will be pleased that the noise has stopped. Car is back together with new control link arms and springs both sides and ready for the MOT.
Have to have a word with the wife about how much shopping she must be putting into the back to break the springs.  Wink

lunatic

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »

Should have given me a shout mate, I have all manner of nut and bolt busting equipment! I also have a reciprocating saw. Every bush or linkage on the ol mans jag has been like this!
Olds

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »

I did think of giving you a shout, but I figured I'd taken up enough of you time recently and I hate borrowing tools.
This is the first time that a single bolt has taken a full day to remove.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: