May 04, 2024, 03:50:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: reliant engines advice  (Read 2566 times)
Al

« on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »

do you think their would be much of a demand for recondioned engines doing a proper job just getting parts
1 new liners piston and rings £200
2 main bearings £45
3 big ends bearings £65
4 water pump £22
5 thermostat £6
6 full gasget set £22
7 crank shaft reground and balanced £25
8 timing chain and tensioner £25
£415ish for proper job

in most cases the pistons dont need changed and the liners just need honed so would cut down in cost as only new rings needed
and then
1 piston rings £65
2 main bearings £45
3 big ends bearings £65
4 water pump £22
5 thermostat £6
6 full gasget set £22
7 crankshaft reground and balanced £25
8timing chain and tensioner £25
£280ish for  well usable engine

doing one of these usually takes from start to finish including the valves recut and ground back and skimmed and tested the only thing i have to  ship out i s the crank

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:37:37 AM by siral » Logged
Al

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

i havent included rockers in this as iv usually got spare fingers lying about
doing one of these usually takes from start to finish including the valves recut and ground back and skimmed and tested the only thing i have to ship out is the crank i can normally can do them in about 4-5 hours but usually do it over two days as doing it in one is too much 

this is on a part exchange basis without that i normally take a £100 i know you can buy a running engine for between £50-£100 but iv been doing 2cv ones of and on for quite a while and their seems to be a not bad turnround normally put £150-£200 for labour wich isnt much but when you look at the cost of parts alone as sundries and such are usually of my labour to keep costs down oil and filter and such
any feed back negative or positive greatly received please note this isnt me plying for work although if anyone needs anything done i will help out as much as i can it was realy to put the feelers out
al

nabsim

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »

Reliant Parts World will supply a reconditioned 850 engine for £975 excluding VAT and carriage if thats any help to you.

There must be a market if they are offering them I would have thought. My own experience of things tends to show a lot of people want something for nothing. If you have been doing this with 2CV's though you will have a lot more idea than my own personal dealings.

Not sure from your posts what the finished price would be though sorry Al Smiley

Al

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

chears nabsim i recon i could do a full one delivered to the door £665 and just the rings without liners probably about £510ish to the door
for the 2cv iv been lucky my pal is in the local club but travels to shows and such like they are quite strong lumps over heating again a problem but i normally put them out for about £350 as parts for them are a bit more realistic although this is dependant what they need they are so light and easy to do 
normally you can use different models wich can be cheaper like for example we needed a piston and rings for z1000 and a corsa 1litre is the same piston and rings they are compatable but i have checked for rings and pistons for a reliant on most books for them and 850 motors their aint anything compatable so you have to pay a higher price for their stuff
it is just idea that is floating in my head just now
tbone

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »

I really cant see where the market is for this.
If it`s aimed at your average trike builder, then as you say, you can pick up a runner for under £100, which would suit most of us to chuck into a frame, the fact its a runner is usually good enough.
Besides which, if someone feels they have the skills (?) to fabricate a trike in the first place, they are probably confident about tackling any engine issues themselves.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Al

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »

thats how i was putting feelers out for the good points and the bad with the 2cv most of them are shirt and tie brigade with big wallets and dont like the  dirty oil dont make much of them but gives me something todo
im with you it is much easier to and cheaper to buy one for a £100 quid and deal withit if something goes wrong at the time
so was wanting an independant view on the reliant one thanks for being honest tbone
tbone

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »

I do think its a good service, and your not overdoing it on your labour charge, just cant see the shirt n tie brigade having a huge interest in Reliants, they do seem to have avoided the `cool car` tag that others have gained.
We all know the stereotypical 3 wheeler owner, enuff said!
May be worth a shout over on the R3W forum,and see the reaction you get there.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Al

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »

well tbone was del boy not one of the shirt and tie lot
to be honest i wasnt realy plying for the work iv re-coned two fully reliants one im going to use for a full build to play with but was just curious if i wanted to get rid of them
honest not bad mouthing anyone and they put bread on my table but i know some of them have called the aa out to change a tyre and 2cv the only one i truthfully like is chris irelands one but that is one of
al
hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

siral,the crankshaft regrind and balance is cheap at £25. Shocked

I
Al

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »

my pal has an engine refurb shop i can skim and pressure test the heads my self but i let him do the crank so semi pals rate he also couldnt see a market for the reliant
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: