May 05, 2024, 09:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First trike build  (Read 6912 times)
triker-taz
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:29:01 PM »

Hi sorry if this question has been asked before but here goes... Think its about time I try my hand at my first trike build but not 100% clear on the paper work side. Right hope this makes sense...

I have an old bike frame I want to use to make the trike frame, it has its original vin number but I do not have the V5 a reg number or any paper work to prove I have bought it (as it came as spares with the trike I bought) so is it ok to use this for the build and will I be able to use this number to register it (thats if it ever gets built).. 

Secondly what order do I have to do every thing, obviously I have to build it first but then what next as I know I will need to have the sva test, mot, register it and get a reg number, insure and tax..  Any info would be greatly received..
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:47:59 PM »

Hi Taz.
I'm waiting for ByzMax to pen us a run down on the paperwork side of things at the moment. He's already put several trikes through the MSVA test & has another 2 to do soon. I'm new to the recent regs myself so as interested to know as you are!
I presume it's fine to use an old frame as the basis for your build, but you'll be issued with a completely new frame number & registration number after the test.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 11:42:00 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:51:37 AM »

Hi

As far as using a bike frame the DVLA will have no problem with but you will only be able to use the frame number if you do not modify the frame. So you would need to make the trike back end removeable and operate from the swing arm.............. less than ideal.

I personaly would never use a bike frame unmodified. All the forces acting on a bike are primarily vertical. When you add that extra wheel almost all the forces are lateral and will put a huge stress on the frame. It would need alot of strengthening.

You will find that most production bike frames have a wall thickness of only 1.5mm perhaps 2mm if your lucky.

Minimum wall thickness I use is 2.65mm on 1" 1/4 and 3mm on 1"

Registering

If you use the bike frame make sure you get the logbook before you start or remove the frame number. If it turns out to be stolen or scrapped you will run into bother when you try and register it when complete.

Same applies to the engine!!! get it from a legit source!!!!

Build it

MSVA it

MOT it

And Register It!

Will supply your info soon Manky. Upto my eyeballs in work at the Mo

Iain

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 11:47:38 AM »

Thanks matey.
Always nagging you lot for contributions -in vain, but a proper write up on what's involved in registering a trike from scratch would be great Byz. I'm building mine but got no idea what the first step to registration is. Presumably a form of some sort from the Post Office?
If you can find the time to write us something we'll post it in the Trike section & cross link it to the Miscellaneous section too.

triker-taz
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:10:32 PM »

Many thanks for that, was a bit worried about the old stolen bit..(im sure its not) would hate to build it then have it taken away because the front bit was nicked, have been trying to find out about the frame (I try and do things right and legal like) as thats the only number I have but no one can seem to locate it dvla, police no one.. If they cant tell me for sure would my best bet be to weld over it then grind it off nice and smooth again so no one will ever know Roll Eyes..or would this cause more problems.. Huh

Thanks again
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 09:58:24 PM »

If it has no history then it's not a problem and you may be able to use it for registration. They will not let you use it if it is identfies it as a bike and you've turned it into a trike unless it is one with a removeable swing arm.

Is it an import that has never been registered?

Iain

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
triker-taz
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:39:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply and never thought of that  Roll Eyes my better half will do a bit more digging tomorrow so will let you know what she finds out Grin...... Think the hardest part of a trike build is the f***ing paperwork
triker-taz
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 11:30:47 AM »

hi there this is the better half of triker-taz here well this is proving a nightmare on finding out what to do (paper work) when you've built a trike i've just spent the bast part of 2 boring hours on the phone to the DVLA to be shunted from pillar to post eventually the bloke i spoke to said that they cannot trace the bike with the vin number only registration and as the police also came up with nothing then i can build the trike and i do not have to do the VIC test as there is no registration to check. he said build it, get an insurance cover note using the vin number. MSVA, MOT it in which ever order i choose then apply for registration where they will issue a new number plate for the present vin number then fully insure it and get the tax.
they are sending a load of leflets and stuff through the post (more fuel for the open fire) so hope this is of any ues to anyone out there or if anyone knows something different pleas let me know before i kill myself aaaarrrrggggggg Shocked
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »

Hello Mrs Taz, (I'm assuming you're not another Mr?) -& welcome!
Can you scan anything that looks remotely useful please & email it to me at the address on the Contacts page. May come in handy when Byz does his registration write up.

triker-taz
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:32:44 PM »

yup i'm female for sure and i'm still a miss taz or better known as tazet lol and sure as soon as i have something usefull on paper i will send it to you at the moment its all scribbles on a note pad from the many calls i've had to make and once these leflets come through i will see what they say and let you know might even put my own post on here with all the info on it.
ps hpi checking for bikes is around £40 bit too expensive for my liking especially as we only have the vin number thats more than the frame is worth. also mr taz called the police again and nothing came up at all as far as they are concerned the bike does not exsist.

oh and i do like a bit of cake  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 08:59:17 PM »

Ahh, a lady after my own heart.  Cheesy We have so much in common. So little time, so many cakey commestibles.
It'd be nice to put together a definitive step by step guide to registering a trike. Once we've got all your & Byz's info collated we can make a permant page in the Trike section, rather than just a forum post -we get lots of visitors to the main site who never venture in here -& plenty here who never visit the rest of the site.
When I built Rainbow's GS850 trike frame I used the headstock & front downtubes from the original frame & hand built the rest. I just ground offf the original number &, had I not sold it, would've re-registered it from scratch.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

There is a very useful 'direct line' to the MSVA

Here

in the form of a forum where the questions are answered by Chris who is an MSVA techie bloke and expert on anything to do with getting trikes thru the test!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 09:25:58 PM »

Yup, Chris has answered a few of my own questions in the past & Byz has spoken to him on the phone several times.
Haven't seen him on the 100% Biker forum for a while -does he still post there?

reliantman

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »

He does still post now & again, but I think he has been traveling around the country recently.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 10:11:30 PM »

But there's lots of answers to MSVA questions to be found by trawling through the posts already on there.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: