May 03, 2024, 11:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what drill bit  (Read 2380 times)
zakboy

« on: January 29, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »

hi all,just having my bike shaft welded in to the insert i had made then welded  in to the reliant prop, i really wanted to pin it as well,any one know what drill bit will go throw the hardened steel of the bike shaft and at what speed, tried carbide tipped wont touch it. cheers all the best zak

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »

Don't bother, a full penetration weld will suffice, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
zakboy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »

hi morrag well i have taken it to a firm that should know what they are doing, because the insert is mild steel and the shaft is hard, he said he would weld it with dissimilar rods and i think the virago 750 is not a lot over 50 hp so i will take your word for that . thank you all the best zak

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »

hi morrag well i have taken it to a firm that should know what they are doing, because the insert is mild steel and the shaft is hard, he said he would weld it with dissimilar rods and i think the virago 750 is not a lot over 50 hp so i will take your word for that . thank you all the best zak

Whilst there may be some benefit from using dissimilar rods the  area to be welded will be annealed anyhow during the welding process making it pretty much the same as the insert.

I've welded many Bike props to car ones and not had any problems. Did a 100bhp XS1100 to a MX5 prop with standard mild steel wire and had no problems. Even Dumping the Clutch and giving is a right handfull of throttle would not budge it.  Grin

Most important though due to the thickness of the parts and the small amount of welding involved is to preheat the parts which will help with penetration of the weld. TIG rather than Stick or MIG is preferable but not essential it's just easier to see that you've welded and that you have proper penetration  Wink

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
zakboy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:14 AM »

HI byzmax thanks for that info it makes me a lot easier about it, as im not what you would call a welder i thought i would take it some wear they do welding all the time in the hope they would know the best way of doing it, i think pining it as well would just have given it that extra messure,but there isnt a lot of horse power in these viragos so hope fully it will hold with just the weld,cheers all the best zak

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: