May 12, 2024, 03:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Goldwing with a knock  (Read 2575 times)
voodoo

« on: March 06, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »

Hi all....Hunting for a big lump of a tourer atm and I have found a very clean but old (1983) Goldwing I like the look of...Only trouble is it has a slight knocking noise from around the Clutch area on tick over...the noise goes away as soon as you pick up the revs but I am very dubious about buying it as know very little about Goldwing engines...anyone got an idea of what the knocking noise could be 7 costs involved in sorting it out ?....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
terry t

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »

Hi voodoo. its the primary chain a common on gls. mine does it.it sounds worse when cold but goes away when your riding.it might need a good tune carbs balanced timing set up ect.nice looking bike though Wink
voodoo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »

Thanks for that Terry....Is it something that I would need to get sorted before touring on it or is it just an annoying noise ? lol.... Also what sort of price would I be looking at if I had to replace the chain?....Voodoo.....

Custom Paint Spraying...
terry t

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »

Don't know what the cost would be.how fat is your wallet. but to replace it you will have to take the engine out completely strip engine of all ancillaries heads clutch housing etc.then split the lump in half trying not to brake the rings.that's just to see the chain  Huh.if it was mine i would live with it .
voodoo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »

Haha yep I see what you mean...I could live with it too lol...Got 3 or 4 I am looking at atm so fingers crossed i can find a good one....Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
toad

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »

goldwing primary knocking, chattering, is nought to worry about! its normal even from new! a decent carb tune up will lessen the noise. And replacement of the chain and guide is a very simple job, engine out. Rear cover and generator rotor removed no need to split the motor any further than that. down side of a wing is fuel economy on standard carbs 35-40 mpg if your lucky. Shocked

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
terry t

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

Hi sorry about that voodoo. i thought the primary chain was in the main engine chamber not such a big job after all
terry t

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »

Have a look at this then.but be quick it finishes at 6pm today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1985-YAMAHA-1200-VENTURE-ROYALE-LOOKS-LIKE-GOLDWING-/250778952324?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3a63972284
voodoo

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

Thanks for that info,oh that venture is ok but not a huge fan of them as i had one as a trike not that long ago and had loads of problems with it....Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: