May 13, 2024, 02:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front end rake  (Read 5784 times)
kapri

« on: May 18, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »

What's the correct method to cut and rake a frame headstock?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »

Not sure there's a correct method Kev. I've always cut the top tube just behind the headstock & taken a wedge shaped slice out, then warmed the top of the downtubes & leant on the top of the yokes until the gap closes up. Then welded it up & added new triangular gussets under the headstock.
Whatcha building now?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »

Just going through it all in my head right now Andy , just to make sure it's do-able Wink
saex69

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

There are a number of way's to do it like Manky say's you could just take a wedge out or you could cut the whole lot off and make a new front end which will also tidy it up, you can chop the top tube and heat the bottom down tube's and bend the head stock back a little. hope that helps

Life is like a s**t sandwich the more bread you have the less s**t you have to eat.
Stix

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »

On my auto honda 400 I just cut the top of the frame, it is a pressed steel spine in two parts took a pie slice out of it lined it all back up and welded it, then all I had to do was make some deeper front engine mounts and bolt them on, the motor is part of the frame, jobs a goo dun, three inch longer fork stanchions and that gave a bit of hight on the front, could have gone with just under two to keep it level.

Stix
terry t

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »

Or get raked yokes made  Wink
kapri

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

On my auto honda 400 I just cut the top of the frame, it is a pressed steel spine in two parts took a pie slice out of it lined it all back up and welded it, then all I had to do was make some deeper front engine mounts and bolt them on, the motor is part of the frame, jobs a goo dun, three inch longer fork stanchions and that gave a bit of hight on the front, could have gone with just under two to keep it level.

Stix

It's a CX I'm thinking about John!
merv

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »

Or get raked yokes made  Wink

Sorry Terry, this is a new one on me can you explain

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
terry t

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »

Well Merv I will try and explain Shocked
to reduce the trail you need the alter the rake. there are a few ways of doing this. build a frame with the correct trail you want or
cut the head stock like been disused fit leading link forks, have an ezi steer set up like on my trike or buy pre set raked triple trees/ yokes like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-DEGREE-RAKED-TRIPLE-TREES-23-HARLEY-BAGGER-STREET-GLIDE-TOURING-1997-2013-/391128212271?hash=item5b110ee32f

what one you do decide to use will still need some thought and calculations  to get the trail right
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:32:26 PM by terry t » Logged
Stix

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »

Stix

Kev
If the frame is the same then about an hour to get it cut and re welded, and if the motor is a stressed member then just make up some new engine plates and bolt em on. If you want I will pop down and take a look but it ain't rocket science.

John
merv

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Terry

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
kapri

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »

Stix

Kev
If the frame is the same then about an hour to get it cut and re welded, and if the motor is a stressed member then just make up some new engine plates and bolt em on. If you want I will pop down and take a look but it ain't rocket science.

John

There's a strengthening plate on the headstock I was going to take this off, cut and rake behind it and then put another plate on. What I didn't know was whether butt welds were considered acceptable or it needed an insert into both bits of tube first.
Stix

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »

I take it you are using a mig, if so leave a gap of 3mm all round the slot and fill it with weld use a pretty hot setting so you actually burn into the parent metal if concerned put a run over the top making sure it burns into the first weld
John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: