May 13, 2024, 06:48:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Foot pegs  (Read 5030 times)
nabsim

« on: June 30, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »

Do rider and pillion foot pegs have to fold up on a bike if you have a sidecar fitted to it, is it a legal requirement?

one arm bandit

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »

do they have to fold anyway?? leagally,
i fitter rearsets to both my superbikes and the pegs were solid?
digger06

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »

no, they dont
nabsim

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »

Great, I need to fit something different to a footpeg to stop my right foot sliding off and it looks like the left pillion footpeg is obstructed by the rear top sidecar mount Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Depends how much help your foot needs but I have a jubilee clip on my left footpeg, with the screw up bit uppermost.  Could do with a little more but it's quite a good quick fix.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
nabsim

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

Depends how much help your foot needs but I have a jubilee clip on my left footpeg, with the screw up bit uppermost.  Could do with a little more but it's quite a good quick fix.

On last bike I had I could just grab leg and put it back on the peg, wasn't ideal but wasn't a big problem either. Position on this one is a bit different and when it slips off I can't get it back on without stopping so it isn't that good now Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »

BasketCase, (changed his forum name -used to be AriesSnake), is in a wheelchair & rides a trike. He uses flat footboards, rather than pegs, with the toe clips from a pair of skis. When he gets on the trike he just snaps his boots into the clips to hold them in place.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »

My jubilee clip used to hold a strap with velcro which is what I used when I first had the trike and my leg didn't really bend enough - been wondering lately about putting it back on.  I'm ok till I get tired but then it starts to be an effort to keep my foot in place.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
nabsim

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »

That FJ that decided me to get an outfit again had a swivel holder but not sure how it was done. That would be better for me than a foot board as the seat position means foot is angled. Think that's what I will do for the front then just need to make better positioning for pillion between bike and sidecar, there is a sidecar brake whose master cylinder is just right but may get damaged so I am thinking either a bit of plate or framed mesh over that. The front and rear pegs are quite close together on the K1100 not really anywhere to go considering the whole thing is so big.

Caz says it isn't really a problem for her and she is the main pillion so no panic yet and it's more of a concern to bystanders (and police) if my foot falls off the peg, it won't go anywhere. police never used to know what to say or do if they ever pulled me up when i was riding with leg off, saved me some points I reckon over the years Smiley

one arm bandit

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

do as bg says used good old velcro, thats what i use for my right hand,ive a 50mm wide strip on the palm of my glove and 50mm strip round the grip, then a 20mm strip going under the grip and out each side so i can fasten over the top of the glove as extra safty...if thats the word im looking for. it works anyway i only use my right to hold the bars while i change gear but as its straped on there i do do a bit of one handed cruising on a good flat road,gives a chance to adjust the wedding tackle and what not Grin
nabsim

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

I cant reach down to do the velcro up once I am on it OAB. Have a look at these two pics of the FJ I was after and you will see what I mean. I would need to have the front peg has I stand on rear peg then put false leg on fron peg then swing left leg over saddle. I am thinking of having something like this that will swivel round a footper or length of bar.

It turned out the guy who owned the FJ was a MMM forum user so if he fitted this I may be able to get more info on it

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/nabsim/04be03ca.jpg
Foot pegs

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/nabsim/3effe656.jpg
Foot pegs

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »

An iron slipper -cool! Any idea who the forum member was?
Mr Bandit, if you can't use your right hand, have you got a lefthand throttle? Disabled rider conversions always generate a lot of interest here -a lot of our trike riding readership are missing one bit or another -so any info/tips/advice are always welcome.

one arm bandit

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »

on ninja pig ive got a foot throttle heel brake and foot clutch on tuther side.
on the new project (bolt on hard tail triking the 58 matchless) ile have left hand throttle and a twin lever top for front brake as its cable so cant combine with rear and bottom lever will be the clutch. although after sorcing a regal axel to do a chain diff and finding out im looking at £250+ for the axel i need to start saving. ile be starting the project in a week or two so ile do a full build thread this time i promise. just may be have to hold major work untill i get an axel. oh and on the look out for some stock morris minor rims Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

I'll see if Mr Forgotten's still got the originals from his custom Moggy build.

nabsim

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »

Yes Andy, the blue FJ belonged to Scaz326 (Lee) but I didn't know tat until after it had sold

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: