May 12, 2024, 03:13:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine oil dipstick size please........Anyone?  (Read 6249 times)
ROD

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

2- 5/8" block to top! I laid out all the sizes on a sheet of white card,then dipped the oil ,laid the d/stick down next to the sizes,checked and re checked!
one arm bandit

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy im in a position to measure from the bottom of the sump to the marks if you want rod
terry t

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »

2- 5/8" block to top! I laid out all the sizes on a sheet of white card,then dipped the oil ,laid the d/stick down next to the sizes,checked and re checked!
so the measurment on your dipstick from under side of handle to the full oil mark is 6-3/8"
ROD

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »

No,according my calcs from your sizes its 6-1/2"...3-7/8" + 2-5/8"
fifer

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 06:52:22 PM »

Originally posted by ROD ;
All worked out and sorted now..BUT.......!!...I put exactly 5 pints in (nicked swmbo's Pyrex measuring jug to do it(she hasnt sussed yet! Grin) and it is coming up the dipstick just over 1 cm higher than the highest point as per Terrys dimensions .(Terrys dimensions..werent they a '70's band?? Grin)Given it a quick blat,re checked,still the same. It was more than 1cm,but I got a spirit level on the engine and lifted the front of the trike to get it exactly level.Strange eh? Im going to drain a little out tomorrow after Ive checked the sizes again!
ROD ; DO NOT DRAIN YOUR OIL OUT .
While Terry  dimensions and every body elses including mine is the same and are correct for the standard dipstick and tube setup , YOU HAVE ALTERED YOUR DIPSTICK TUBE .

If as you stated you drained and refilled with 5 pints THEN , WHEREVER THAT LEVEL SITS ON THE DIPSTICK IS WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FIRST HIGH LEVEL MARK .
Forget about the standard marks as they have no significance now due to your modifications .
Rather than use the measurement on the standard dipstick to mark your lower position you can check where to put two  lower marks by draining exactly 1/2 pint out and noting the new witness mark and drain another 1/2 pint and noting the new witness mark.
This will give you three position as reference as per
TOP Position = FULL
MIDDLE Position = 1/2 PINT USED
BOTTOM Position = 1 PINT USED

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
ROD

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »

Good idea fifer,but I still cant see how this has gone wrong,as Ive calculated the differences exactly.
terry t

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »

No,according my calcs from your sizes its 6-1/2"...3-7/8" + 2-5/8"
Rod the size i gave you were to the nearest 1/8". i have checked against a dipstick and the measurment is 6-7/16"   3-13/16"  2-5/8
but 1/8 of oil low or high oil leval will not give you the promblem you have. have you checked the oil pressure it shoud be 45psi
fifer

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »

Originally posted by ROD ;
but I still cant see how this has gone wrong,as Ive calculated the differences exactly.
I would just put it down to F*c*its law and forget the old measurements . Grin Grin

Wherever the oil is now , then that is your level  Smiley

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
ROD

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »

Havent checked oil pressure,but tested it today with new oil,which was definitley more than was in there previously,and no oil light coming on when throwing it into corners.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: