May 09, 2024, 10:34:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: am i being over causious with my not yet run in in engine  (Read 6637 times)
one arm bandit

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

After it developed a misfire,I set up the strobe and found the dizzy needed to turn about 1/4" anti clockwise(cant remember if thats advance or retard at the mo')to get the timing marks more or less lined up. But it ran well before the misfire and ticked over steady,so summat was/is amiss!

anti= retard, ive retarded mine 1/8" and its alot better hardly any slap now, maybe needs another tad retard but ile carry the 11mm spanner with me and have a play, also done away with the vacume pipe and blocked the the carb and dizzy ends.. happy so far may even seem a tiny bit pokier but im happy to rev a little more now theres some mileage on the clock.

what your temp gauge read rod when shes fully warm ??
nabsim

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

If its only happening in higher gear at low revs I would say your first assumption about revs being too low for the gear you are trying to pull is the correct one. Unlikely to be timing if its only in top at low revs is it?

one arm bandit

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 06:22:33 PM »

fix her, bloody hell hers good, retarded the timing no more knock and better power sailed up a big hill in 3rd today where a change down to 2nd was the usual thing, i took off the advance retard pipe aswell...  its also made the engine run much cooler not over 95ish on a good long run as before it was up at 110ish, i love the problems that can be fixed without spending money it creates an even bigger smile Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
merv

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »

good for you,its always nice when you fix your own problems gives one a sense of achievement

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
digger06

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »

alls good then, my engines set by feel, not the marks, and runs all the better for it
andyrennison

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »

Good one Smiley  The timing marks were set for older fuel types with a different head gasket and unskimmed head (different compression ratio) - plus im convinced electronic ignition starts the burn a little faster as well. A great result Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: