May 15, 2024, 11:42:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1563729 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #810 on: September 28, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »

Yeah, I'd just like to swap that ugly block for something prettier that's all. Was on a local rod run today & checked out Clunk's old Rover engined sedan. He's used a resistor from a Renault. Next job on my Pop is to cobble together some sort of steering set-up. We've got the choice of 4 steering boxes. The original Pop one, A VW camper one, an earlier V Dub split screen one & a Reliant one. Steering column will probably be a mix of Morris Minor, Pop & VW too.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
panthershaun

« Reply #811 on: September 28, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »

here is said Clunks Rover

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
tbone

« Reply #812 on: September 28, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »

mmmmmmm sweeeeet.
Thats the reason i dont do cars... too many nice ones about

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #813 on: September 28, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »

42 cars on a treasure hunt type run around the Surrey countryside today. Great weather, gorgeous motors, good company. Taz & I took over 1000 photos between us so whittling them down to a sensible amount as we speak.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #814 on: September 29, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »

Clunk's Rover engine.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #815 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »

Ran a few beads of weld around the exhausts today. One of the flanges is out of line, so we'll need to slice it off, bolt the pipes up to the motor again & re-position it. No point prettying up the welds till we know the pipes are right.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:39:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

panthershaun

« Reply #816 on: September 30, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

nice work chaps Grin
Manky, try these guy's for crossply tyres http://www.vintagetyres.com  this one seems pretty good Waymaster  Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #817 on: September 30, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »

Will do Mr Shaun. Still got to check that crossplies are allowed in the SVA test though.
Kev Rooney, one of the rodders' voices during the SVA consultation process, was on the Surrey Street Rodders run yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

panthershaun

« Reply #818 on: October 10, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »

you got a fuel tank yet Mr Manky? as I have access to a genuine Pop one Grin Grin

tazet
« Reply #819 on: October 10, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »

Manky says yes Shaun, he's re-using the original Pop one, but thanks anyway.  Wink
panthershaun

« Reply #820 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

no problem, just thought I would ask Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #821 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »

Trying to re-use as much orignal Pop stuff as possible.
Just got home from a week's holiday in Scotland, so not quite back to normal yet, but I've had a phone message from Chris at "Pop Browns" to say the new radiator I ordered is ready for collection. He's somewhere in Essex. He's also reworked my Triumph Vitesse front hubs to take 12mm wheel studs in the correct stud pattern for my Minx wheels.
I've also had a message from "Real Steel" in Uxbridge, (not too far from us). I ordered a remote oil filter kit for the Rover engine, but before it arrived we found we no longer needed it. So it's still in it's box. Need to return it to their shop & swap it for maybe an adaptor plate to fit my Holley carb to my Buick inlet manifold. Or something shiney, depending on what they've got in stock.
Really got to push on with the Pop, as well as our 2 trike projects now. The SVA vehicle registration process is due to change in ..April, I think, to bring it into line with the rest of Europe. I'm told the trike side of things won't alter very much but that the car side will be a lot harder, so I need to get this thing at least up to SVA/MOT test standard as soon as possible now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:12:49 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »

Starting to seriously worry we won't get this thing sorted in time now.
Today's been taken up with a trip to Harlow in Essex, to the home of Chris, head honcho of Pop Browns, to collect the super shiney new aluminium radiator. It's designed to fit inside the original Pop rad shell, using the original mounts, (which, of course, we haven't got), but has a much larger core to cool the 3 1/2 litre Rover mill. This baby cost me as much as I paid for the whole car!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »

I also picked up a thermostat switch & relay for the fan, which is on back order.
Not sure if there's going to be enough room between the radiator surround & the front axle to fit the rad' in. We've pushed the axle about 4 inches further forward than it would normally be. Hopefully, we can stretch the bonnet an inch or 2 if necessary to accomodate it without it being too obvious. We'll need to fabricate a frame to support the surround & radiator as we're not using the original inner wing panels.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #824 on: October 16, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

Also on the shopping list was some triangular exhaust flanges.
It's much easier to piece the system together & remove bits when needed if they're on flat, bolt-together flanges, rather than slip-on joints. Two silencers, a flange on each end of each one, plus a corresponding flange on the pipe ends, so 8 flanges & 4 gaskets.
We hooked the motor up to a battery & fuel can & fired it up this afternoon.
"Damn that's loud! We'd better try it with the Cherry Bomb silencers fitted".
"They are fitted".
Oh bugger. Better think about some extra, super muffled, silencer boxes for the test then. 

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: