May 10, 2024, 10:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Hipsville  (Read 12628 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »

Saw these guys yesterday afternoon. The rather fabulous "Tiki Heads". More details tomorrow.   Cool 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:27 AM »

Gee Andy, you sure are getting about. They look fun. Look forward to your next installment.  Smiley

Just had a thought, do you ever see them without their headwear? If not, maybe they're the next KISS. Next time you will have to get them to stick their tongues out. You'll soon know if there is a Gene Simmons lookalike in the band. Well the ladies will anyway.   Wink
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:08:18 AM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »

Grin Yup, they stayed "in character" the whole time, even when they were loading their gear in the van after the gig. Music only, no singing, so no idea what they looked or sounded like.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »

Hm, wonder if the headgear (which seems to vary depending where/what they are playing) is to disguise the fact that maybe they aren't always the same people?  They don't seem to have a website, just a Facebook page.

I looked them up as I thought they would be a great band for my daughter Lucy to book for one of their SUP North paddleboard events - Lucy and Alan are 'Team Riders' for a paddleboard distributor called Starboard whose logo is a Tiki man!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »

Smiley yeah, I guess it'd be easy to replace a band member -or have more than one band touring. They were great. A real party band, playing funky 60s surf music. Ideal for a paddleboard event.
Last year's Hipsville show was outer space themed, so they appeared in white space suits & over sized helmets.

the coppersmith

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »

do ya think they could play as monkees ??
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:31 PM »

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »

So.
I'd planned to work on my truck on Sunday, but Mr Loon had been cruelly struck down by a stomach bug so wasn't coming out to play & it was too nice a day to stay at home -where can I go for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon? There's a useful page on FaceBook called U.K shows & events this weekend. A quick check brought up "Hipsville", a 50s/60s styled music & hotrod show in Bordon, Hampshire. It was a weekend camping do, but had a drive in "Show & Shine" car show on the Sunday. So off I trundled in my trusty daily driver.
A lot of the weekend campers had already left but there were still plenty of vehicles to look at & people to watch. Looked like many had made a real effort to dress the part, with 60s Kaftans, Beatnik berets, Fezs & other assorted Carnaby Street fashions everywhere. Live bands had been playing all weekend in a big top tent & while I was there, the last band, The Tiki Heads, played a brilliant set -funky surf music performed by guys in Hawian shirts topped off with oversized cardboard "Tiki" God masks. Very cool & a lot of fun.
-sorry, lots of photos of them cos I liked them.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »

Loved this guy in the angry looking head. Stood at the back with his arms folded for the entire set, then did a quick bongo/tambourine solo during their encore track to rapturous applause from the audience. Brilliant.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: