May 10, 2024, 08:17:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Popham Airfield classic car & aeroplane meet  (Read 12037 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »

My favourite car of the day. Parked in the public carpark on our way out. No idea if it's vintage or a new build or what engine it's running, but I love it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »

"Whiff", of the Surrey Street Rodders, on his way home.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »

JayJay

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »

Simon, ("Muffin")'s Reliant trike.

I didn't realise they were there. I haven't seen Muffin and Michelle for ages. Did anyone get to speak to them and if so, are they doing ok?
JJ

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
JayJay

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »

Nice pics Andy. I thought I had seen most of the show vehicles but I obviously didn't.  I know we left about midday to get to Beaulieu, and that stuff was still arriving but still...

Rick was telling me how rare that Czech car is. It is so eccentric you would think it was British.  Shocked

I like your people pictures Andy, especially those of Santa enjoying his day off from toy making!

JJ  Wink

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »

Grin The Tatra was built as luxury transport for the Soviet elite. The designers were supposed to be working on a lorry, but had been designing the car in secret -until their bosses decided they needed a new limo.
I saw a single decker Leyland bus arrive, but didn't see it in the show, so obviously I missed stuff too.
The Muffins will be on our pitch at the Basingstoke festival of transport next weekend.

Olds

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »

The black "vaguely GT40" is a Bonito, made originally by Fibrefab I think.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »

Not heard of that one. So what's the donor vehicle?

Olds

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »

Early ones were VW Beetle only. Later you could get a chassis to fit Cortina running gear.
This one is registered as a 1971 1192cc VW (colour red) Roll Eyes
Most admit to wanting one in the late 70s.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
renegade53

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »

It is a classic show Dave.
the times i've been there's been modern stuff there only a few years old, so looks like they've clamped down on the modern stuff then

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:19 PM »

Several different events there during the year. Some are just autojumbles, some are classic meets etc. The big bike event is in August & attracts a huge number of machines.

Chevy Rick

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

Crazy "Edwardian" tourer is home built. The mouldings around the rear window are made of plaster of paris & the steering wheel spokes, light mounts etc are chandelier parts.

This car started life as a Siva  Edwardian base on a Ford Pop, going back a few years there used to be several going round in this area even a pickup version, as the factory Siva Engineering was not so far away in Dorset, most of the ones I saw were very basic I can see this chap has added his own decoration to enhance its appearance.

Dr Who drove a Siva

The Search for Bessie: It all started at the NEC Classic Car Show in 1996, with a gentleman walking onto the stand and not saying "I learnt to drive on/used to have/buried or some other way disposed of" one of those - Ford sidevalve that is.     What he did say was that he had built the original car that the BBC used in the Doctor   Who TV series in the early seventies!   I had always wondered if the original car had survived - you know what film sets can be like!   Anyway he went on to say that he had visited the Siva Engineering Showroom in Weymouth and offered to buy a pre-production set of mouldings.   The proprietor was persuaded to sell the mouldings and the parts to make up a Siva Edwardian.     This was done and the car put on the road at the end of the 60s and used by the gentleman's wife to go to work.   Eighteen months later a BBC Producer arrived at her work and persuaded her to sell the car.   The builder stated that the name "Bessie" came from his wife's name Betty but I can't see the logic!   The usual promises were made   to send photographs and so on but nothing materialised.   I have heard many of these "stories" before....

Anyway, time went on and while wandering through the centre of Leicester - as you do, I saw a bargain bookshop.   Being one for a bargain, in I went for a browse and my eye   strayed to the Science Fiction section being interested in anything to do with Bessie of Dr Who.   There before me was Doctor Who - the Seventies and so with trembling hands, I picked up a copy.     In what has been described as "one of the best books about television ever" were found stills from the TV series showing "Bessie" at work with the late Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

The car was bought by the BBC from the Siva Engineering Sales Company situated at Weymouth in Dorset although the fibreglass kits were made at Blanford Forum nearby.   The kit was designed to fit directly to a Ford 8 or 10 chassis built between 1937 and 1959 - although most were probably built on the 103E Popular.   The cost of   the basic kit was 145 pounds for the 2 seater Roadster and 160 pounds for the 4 seater Tourer.   The contents included the body shell, seats, bonnet, foam seat cushions, mudguards, wheel trims and the brackets to hold them all together!   Bessie was built by the Siva factory for the BBC and boasted the full list of extras costing £182, some of which were horns, luggage trunk, coach lamps, headlamps (Cibie a la Citroen 2CV), hood and frame with sidescreens, seat covers, windscreen and
carpets.   The total cost of the car was around £500.   This was a substantial sum for “props” on the Dr Who show as may be seen by the quality of the costumes and props for the show exhibited at the Dr Who Museum in Llangollen.   This museum is now closed and   I understand that the collection has returned to the BBC and other private owners.

My wife and I whilst on holiday in 1996 visited the museum and found that Bessie was out!   I asked if she was in the Tardis with the Doctor and received a "Vulcan eyebrow."   We were directed to a local classic show and there she was with the Doctor and a Cyberman in attendance.   This Cyberman was not as tall as usual as he was only 10 years old!  The Doctor said that he was a stand in as the Doctor's good wife had succombed to heatstroke while dressed in the silver rubber suit.....   We saw that the old girl was looking a bit tired with loose running boards and a longer nose than the car that I own.     This was due to the fact that the Ford 10 engine and gearbox had expired as a result of galactic travel and been replaced with a 1200cc Ford Anglia (105E) engine and gearbox (like the Harry Potter car).   Oh how the mighty are fallen!   Instead of the Tardis, this good Doctor used a 5 ton white van with a ramp at the back - not quite in keeping with a Time Lord but a practicality in the late 20th century.   The car also featured thick artillery wheel trims instead of the more delicate originals.   Presumably this was an upgrade dictated by the rigors of filming.  

A few years later, a second car was bought by the museum to allow Bessie a more dignified retirement.   The second car was a roadster which the museum planned to convert to a tourer to take on the local round of shows and suchlike.   This car originated from Cornwall, it is believed, where it spent an earlier life competing in Production Car Trials rejoicing in the name of McGinty! How the museum has got on with this replica of Bessie is unknown at the moment !   Does anyone know whether this was completed
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:29:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »

Well there ya go. I've learnt something new. Thanks Rick.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: