May 09, 2024, 11:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talmag Trial Hungry Hill Aldershot  (Read 12224 times)
goforest

« on: November 24, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »

Any one know the date and were I can get some info
Cheers Paul
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »

Mr Tony Oily Bike would probably be the one to ask.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »

Have been searching the past couple of weeks, but have drawn a blank.   Sad

Tend to use the ACU site for info, but nothing on the Talmag as yet
http://www.acu.org.uk/events/default.aspx

I'm gonna make an un-informed GUESS of Sunday 26th Jan, but will have to wait to see if my fortune-telling skills are good or not!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:54:51 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
goforest

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »

Any one heard anything about this yet
Ta
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »

Jan-27    Talmag MCC    ACU    Talmag Trophy Trial, Hungry Hill, Aldershot

http://www.eastern-fourstroke-association.co.uk/keeping-track/

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »

My 2014 diary shows an 27th January to be a Monday.......................... think this is a 2013 events listing  Wink

Still not able to find 2014 info.............. strange....

Just found this  http://stargrouptrials.co.uk/2013-2/  which shows a date in June - mmmm Huh
Talmag has been the last Sunday in Jan for a while now so not sure.

This site shows Sun 26 Jan  http://www.southeasttrialscombine.org.uk/2014%20SE%20Trials%20Schedule%202014%20v1.pdf

Will search again in a week or so.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:59:40 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:27 AM »

oops didn't check that!      Embarrassed

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »

According to "Trials and MotoX News", the 2014 TALMAG pre '65 Trial is on SUNDAY 26th JANUARY.

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/mx-events/Talmag-Trophy-Classic-Trial-i10528

In previous years, the first bikes set off at 09.30, so reckon it'll be the same.

Saw my first TALMAG 26 years ago back in 1988..... eeek, where do the years go...............

Tony oily bike

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »

According to the Normandy MCC  http://www.normandymcc.co.uk/events.html  there's a pre-67 trial at Hungry Hill (Aldershot) on Sunday 23rd Feb 2014.

A way off in December 2014 on Sunday 28th, according to the Thames MCC  http://www.thamesmcc.org/2014dates.pdf  there's the Mike Kemp Classic Trial, again, at Hungry Hill.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »

With a start time of 09.30, we arrived about 08.45 to have a wander around the paddock and take some piccies before the forecasted rain came along.
Hungry Hill it well drained, but with the amount of rain that's been about the last month or so, the generally sandy heathland was sodden, so some of the sections (which looked a bit more challenging than some previous years) tested many of the riders, especially when there were slippery roots etc, and even more so for those without rear suspension! As for the 'combinations' (bike with chair & passenger), there were many that found themselves in 'stuck' after a fine effort to tackle some very difficult terrain, yep, t'was a challenge.

Needless to say the drizzle started about 9, so amongst the rather damp competitors were a large selection of spectators in sporting various colours 'waterproofs' and brollies. At least we got to wander around and keep warm, the poor volunteer Observers (these are the guys who man each section to record the points lost by all the riders) had to stay put.

One of the good things about this event is the variety of machine and rider - there were chaps from Belgium, Austria and Germany attending (bet they loved out weather!), youngsters (I'm guessing late teens / early 20's) to chaps who were in the "over 65s" class, and bikes from lightweight Tiger Cubs  through the ever popular AMC (AJS & Matchless), Aerial, Norton, Royal Enfields and Triumphs to the slightly more unusual Douglas and Panthers.
The programme listed an entry of around 200 machines

As with all forms of motor sport, it the behind-the-scenes volunteers that allow an event to take place, so I'll put on record a 'thank you' to them for yet another enjoyable Talmag.

Photo shows tech-inspection
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:20:25 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »

Bikes at signing-on (a short while before the precipitation started)

Tony oily bike

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »

Paddock scene.
Norton in foreground, 1949 Douglas behind. We saw the Douglas on quite a lot of sections, and the rider certainly had his work cut out on some of them, but top marks for effort!

Didn't take many photos due to the weather, so here are a few from a previous Talmag   http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10384.0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:23:22 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »

That's a gorgeous AJS Tony.
I've never been to this event, but it always looks a great day's sport -what does TALMAG actually stand for?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

That's a gorgeous AJS Tony.
I've never been to this event, but it always looks a great day's sport -what does TALMAG actually stand for?

The Talmag club was formed in 1937 by despatch riders of the London District Signals TA.
It had two years of peacetime activity but was then was disbanded at the outbreak of war. The club re-formed again in 1946 and has continued ever since organising trials.

The programme has "Territorial Army (London) Motor-Cycling Club" on it's cover, but have also heard that it stood for Territorial Army Motorcycle Action Group.

The Talmag club is running its first ever British Championship sidecar round in September 2014, location - Hungry Hill again. The trial will also cater for twin-shock and pre-'67 solos. Should be worth a visit if the calendar allows.

The AJS is rather nice isn't it.............  Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: