May 05, 2024, 12:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 244223 times)
brains

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »

Hi guys  has anyone got a part number for the carrier brackets , tried to order them today from a motor factors but need part number. or can you only get these from breakers ? regards brains
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2008, 11:25:44 PM »

Hmm, good question. I've only ever picked mine up from breakers, but they must be available new/old stock.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
chubby

Happy Days !!!

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »

Hi guys,i priced up the caliper brackets the other day with the main dealer-£54.00 plus vat each Sad Sad Sad
I made a load of phone calls and it appeared they were a main dealer part only Sad Sad
Luckily a mate of mine in the local breakers owed me a favour i had them for freeeeee Grin Grin Grin

happy days
brains

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »

just a thought has anyone had an axel twist downwards with the extra force of these new brakes. My trike has the original spring set up held with the u bolts etc will that be strong enough ?
brains

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »

thanks chubby  ...£54 each  plus vat  wow.... does your mate need any favours doing !! or has he got anymore he wants to pass on cheap ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:58 AM »

Hiya Brains.
You shouldn't have any problems. A well set up drum brake will work just as efficiently as a disc. The main reason we swap is for the looks & simplicity of design. Discs are just prettier than drums. On my last trike I found the wheels would lock up under heavy braking but the trike would slide. More weight above the rear axle would probably have given better traction so better braking.

brains

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »

hiya thanks manky monkey thats put my mind at rest , my drum brakes seem poor even though new shoes and slaves and fluid etc fitted and it has a remote servo and still acts like a 1970 reliant . so hoping that these will cure the problem . I have checked all the leverage and pivot points etc and its about 7 to one on the pedal. regards brains
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »

Never quite got my head around the leverage/pivot ratio thing. I tend to make pedals & stuff to fit the available space, then figure out any changes that need making afterwards.

brains

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »

Hi everyone been around my local breakers but no luck with the mark two golf carriers . anyone got a good breakers that I may contact and get some via post  i live in hertfordshire happy xmas to all
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »

Right Mr Brains, (did you really used to work with ThunderBirds -tell us more), I've been out to the Manky Shed of Mechanical Delights.
I've got a spare pair of caliper carriers, including the pins the calipers slide on & their rubber boots. The carriers are already powder-coated in gloss black ready for fitting. These were originally fitted to the orange Flapster trike. We changed 'em cos Flap had a problem with one of the brake discs rubbing. Can't remember what it turned out to be, but pretty sure it wasn't the carrier brackets.
Yours for 30 quid, including postage. Bargain or what.  Smiley
PM us your postal address if you want 'em.

Urban Terrorist

Hatfield Rat Pack

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »

Hello Brains!! And no Andy, he isn't from thunderbirds!!  Grin

Matt black is the best, f**k the rest!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »

Bloody 'ell UB! I thought you were dead! Nice to see you back mate.  Grin

Urban Terrorist

Hatfield Rat Pack

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »

Don't write me off until you see the coffin going into the ground!! Grin Grin

Matt black is the best, f**k the rest!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2008, 07:50:41 PM »

Grin

brains

« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

Hi andy sorry did not see your message till tonight . I have managed to source one mrk 2 carrier and two seat leon rear callipers complete with their carriers. the mounting holes are the same will they fit ? The story is that on my travels for work I went to one breakers and got the one mrk 2 carrier then went to another breakers and got the calipers and carriers. So I may still need one mrk2 carrier if the leon ones dont fit.
Got busy with the big hammer and the shafts are out and the hubs are off... only just, it took nearly 24 tons of pressure to get one off with some heat as well.

I know urban well as I am also a Renegade,
Yes my first job was a runner and scene painter for thunderbirds puppets some 38 years ago then went to work for the gas company because they paid more..... 5 shillings in old money a week which was alot then....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: