May 14, 2024, 03:00:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pumps for gas shocks  (Read 2928 times)
nabsim

« on: July 22, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

I have a Fournales shock on the back of the BM which previous owner says he runs at 300psi. I know pressure needed varies for different ride/pillion and howheavy a load. It should have 80mm movement in it but other night we were experimenting and it is almost hard tail at the moment which will be why it feels so solid on potholes.

Fournales say to use nitrogen (in it now) or air from one of their hand/stirrup pumps. A quick look and they seem to be very pricey. So now you have the background here is the question. Ha none used these and found an alternative pump that is reasonably priced but will do 300+psi?

The North

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »

300 bar is a lot! I would go with a diving bottle and i think some pre charged style air rifles run at silly pressures like this, To fill them up people use diving bottles and special connectors and  gauges etc.  how you would connect the bottle up  i have no idea. To fill a bottle will cost you about a fiver but they need to be tested so don't buy a used one unless you check the dates. You may get a friendly dive shop or gun shop that will try and help you, A pump it would nearly be as cheap to buy a small bottle and gauge. Pumps are abot 80 quid i think.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Erm, I think you will find that 300bar and 300psi are not quite the same thing!!!

Beware the Ides of March, But!
terry t

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »

have you looked at these NABs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-MINI-COMPACT-AIR-COMPRESSOR-300-PSI-CIGARETTE-BIKE-CAR-VAN-TYRE-INFLATOR-/270940875959?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3f1555acb7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Forx-High-Pressure-Shock-Fork-Pump-300psi-027-00-006-/110906421926?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item19d289b2a6
The North

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »

Erm, I think you will find that 300bar and 300psi are not quite the same thing!!!
  Embarrassed Embarrassed I really must actually read the text, and not just presume what i think was written is.  Grin Grin
   I did think it was a bit excessive like. But i cant make any excuse i dont wear glasses and i was not drunk even tipsy.  Embarrassed Knuckles well and truly wrapped Shocked.
one arm bandit

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

my dad had air adjustable shocks on the back of his out fit many moons ago he just used the tyre thing at the petrol station, there was a gauge on the hanlebars and the tyre inflator fitted a valve on the gauge, is this the same thing nabs?? if not pretend i never posted anything Wink Cheesy
Cabman77

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

I know the shocks on a metro or citroen used to be pumped up by a pressure testing pump with an antifreeze solution. I supose this is a bit different to that but the testing pump could still get that pressure in it for you.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
digger06

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

u sure its 300psi?, seems a lot but i see they are tested to 4000psi so maybe,,,,

EDIT
yup,
http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/2011/3/31/201133195520935.pdf

pumps here
http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/body_maw_prices.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:04:36 PM by digger06 » Logged
nabsim

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

It says on the original paperwork 18bar but that is for a solo. I have a caravan on the side so you would expect to load it up more for thy. The previous owner was round the arctic circle and Russia on it last year with gear and loads of spares so has had a lot of use on it, it's him saying 300psi.

I thought I had typed bar then North, was trying to find it in the post, it's the sort of mistake I make Smiley

Had a ride out in the. Sun today and had fish and chips in Matlock Bath and it did seem to be damping better. Was 2 up today where I was on my own. Other night when I thought it wasn't springing at all, looks like it may be set for pillion. May just leave it a bit longer and see, some of the lanes round here are that rippled they make a bad ride, I am starting to pick different roads when on the outfit and smoother roads are soooooo much better.

I have had those little 12v compressors before and never thought about one of them, thing against those are they say the gauge as to be accurate and ones I have had just flap about wildly. Guess if it is only a few pounds change it will need to be good.

I have a set f Honda CB900 forks that have air assist OAB and they have nipples on top of te legs but no gauge, is that what you mean? You can get these for front but don't know what they look like.

one arm bandit

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

I have a set f Honda CB900 forks that have air assist OAB and they have nipples on top of te legs but no gauge, is that what you mean? You can get these for front but don't know what they look like.
[/quote] 
no ours were the rear shocks but the gauge and valve were on the handle bars, he used to mess about letting the air out and then pumping back up and the back end would sink then rise, i thought it was really cool when i was about 10 Tongue
nabsim

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »

Oh right, dunno then, this is a sigle sided swing arm with just one shock and the nipple at the top, suppose if it had a good gauge any old pump would do Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: