May 22, 2024, 12:19:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 wheeler, but not as we know it, Jim!  (Read 70203 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

I have sent you a PM Dave

Beware the Ides of March, But!
dave 67

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »

Have sent pics Dave

never to old to learn
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »

Been busy enuf! but as is so often the case at this point in a build, not too much to show, however, I have now completed a rather tricky 3 piece prop shaft, and that's shown below, and I have modified the swinging arm to allow for easier wheel removal, I shall fit them back on tomorrer for a final check before moving on to the radiator. Its a GL rad. which I have to reverse the inlet/outlet on so I can mount it behind the Honda motor, I'll take a few pics to show y'all, prior to getting on with it, so until then it's "Goodnight from him, and its..............." Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue..Morrag

dave 67

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »

Nice work Dave very nice

never to old to learn
hornet6

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »

Very nice work...and an interesting build. Is the motor a cx500 or the bigger cx650?

no projects ever finished
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »

I would like it to be the bigger motor Hornet, but no, its a CX/GL 500cc motor, but I have used them before in 'trikes, and what they do have going for them is,a) Quite a torquey motor. b) They seem to last to high millages provided they are regularly serviced, and as I tend to buy them at high millages for projects that's important!. d) They are an un-fussy sort of mill, running on carburettors, or in this case one large S.U.carburettor, and of course they are shaft driven. At 50 Bhp its adequate power unless your a "Boy Racer" and I'd fail that test on both counts!!, and as much HP. as the pre-War, ( 2nd WW I mean|!!) JAP/Matchless "V" Twins that this project is loosely based on, maybe I'll relate the story of why a 'Cycle car' at some other time Grin Grin anyway, if someone has a 650cc motor they would part with then I'm interested, although I won't hold my breath!! Appreciate the comments Dave, trust your build is moving apace!! cheers for now, Morrag

Al

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »

dave really great and interesting build
al
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »

A change in direction regarding the swinging arm this week, so, in case I need to fit a larger section tyre to the 16" rear wheel in the future, I have ditched the "dog-leg" swinging arm in favour of a 50mm wider, and parallel set up.The drive line is pretty much set up as shown now, although I may still redo the final, third, shaft, to provide a stiffer shaft with increased clearance to the chassis, we shall see. I also have thoughts of renewing the whole swinging fork, with a box section unit pre-fabed from 70x40mm box, again to increase the rear end overall stiffness,but its in the melting pot, though on the cards. However, next up is the cooling system,so that's what's now on the bench now. Depends how cold it gets now, I suppose,although I went for a run on my SV on Tuesday and it was a beautiful day here, so who knows what, hopefully! interruptions to manufacture may ensue..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Morrag

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »

This is a view of the now finalised drive line set up, Morrag

Olds

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 05:38:56 AM »

Nicely done. Loving the simplicity of the chassis design (not saying it's simple to make). Wondering if you plan on x bracing?
Not finished my "normal trike" yet but you and ROD have got me thinking about the next build Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

As there will be a deal more steel going into the structure to support the eventual alloy paneling, I'm unsure as yet how much extra triangulation of the central ladder will be required, but as I tend to build these days on a "suck it 'n' see" type of engineering, I shall probably do just that"! but it will be stiff enough when completed. I'm a big fan of simplicity and " what works for me", also, so onward with some peripherals now, then a complete strip to finalise the structural welding. After that I need to source some sensibly priced 1.2/1.3mm aluminium sheet for the body panels.So, much to do, but hey, if I finish this one too quickly I shall only start another!!, so..................... Grin Grin Grin Grin

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:56 AM »

I have now "reversed" the tappings on a CX/GL rad. and added a fan, so thats temp. mounted behind the motor now. Did a final instal of the steering rack, and now with a little 'shuffling', intend to pre-fab the first forward bulkhead next, to support this gear, so..........not too much to see, but...I do intend to replace the wooden supports! although I don't know Cheesy Cheesy :DMorrag

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »

That's looking fantastic Really like that Sir.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
scannerzer

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

I'm looking foward to seeing this progress,looking really good so far.Is it going to be a 2 seater,side by side?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Well, to be honest Scan. side by side, yes, for two, more like one and a bit!! at pres.anyway, but we shall see Grin Grin Grin Grin, the dims. are a bit tight, but I'm trying to avoid it looking "fat" around the middle, so.................. Morrag

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: