May 10, 2024, 09:20:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: q plate  (Read 8914 times)
dobber

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »

i have a 1960 bsa d7 175 sat in the depot. it has an age related plate which was put on when the previous owner transfered the origional plate. now on the log book it says the new, old plate can not be transfered again.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »

i have a 1960 bsa d7 175 sat in the depot. it has an age related plate which was put on when the previous owner transfered the origional plate. now on the log book it says the new, old plate can not be transfered again.

That sounds about right......

If you get issued an age related plate from DVLA, then you can't transfer it. (so if you were to restore a bike with say a 1945 frame, and similar engine but have no registration, someone like the VMCC can issue a letter confirming the age of the bike, that will/should then let you be issued with an age related plate, but the plate stays with the machine)

If you personally buy a plate of the era of the machine, and transfer it to a machine to replace a plate you don't like, then the plate can be transferred elsewhere at a later date - but with the following clauses - the vehicle its coming from has to have a current MoT, and the vehicles its going to cannot be younger than the reg plate that you're transferring (so you can't, say, put a 2005 plate on 2001 vehicle)

Fun n games............  Cheesy

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »

With most vehicle law enforcement being carried out by camera now the police are quite hot on number plates that don't meet requirements.

Modern vehicles with Black and silver plates are a no no. You will get stopped eventually.

Repeated failure to display the correct plate can and sometimes does lead to the DVLA withdrawing the V5 for the vehicle and therefore you'd be uo the creek without a paddle so to speak!

Q plates are non transferable and are now don't carry an assumed date of 1971. They laws that apply to your vehicle are from the date the Q plate was issued.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

going of track a little but still plate related , my mate recons he can transfer a plate from a car to a bike , is this true ?. i cannot se how thats possible ,unless its a private plate
Tony oily bike

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »

As best as I know.......

If the donor vehicle is registered to you, has current MoT (if applicable) and it doesn't have non-transferable plate (ie a Q plate, or an age-related plate issued by DVLA), you can carry out a transfer (the only thing you can't do is put a 'newer' plate onto an 'older' vehicle, so you can't give your 1995 vehicle a 1998 plate).

The type of vehicle doesn't matter.

The AA books from the 60's & maybe 70's used to show where registrations originally came from as the second two letters APC *** *  defined the area/county.

Just out of interest, quite a few age-related plates (those issued from DVLA to a vehicle where the date of first registration or date of manufacture can be formally determined) read *SU ***.

http://www.theplatemarket.com/how_to_retain_a_number_plate.php

When your application to retain the registration number is approved, the DVLA will allocate a replacement registration number that reflects the age of the vehicle. If possible, the DVLA will try to reissue the vehicle's previous registration number.

Replacement registration numbers are issued on a non-transferable basis. That means you will not be able to sell the replacement registration. You can, however, replace it with another private registration number at a later date.

'Private plate' can mean more than one thing, could be one you have 'on retention' ??, as in its yours but not on a vehicle, but kinda ready to be used or it could mean one that you've had a while and move between your own vehicles

Wink

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »

I think it's only one-off personal plates that can be transferred between different types of vehicle.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: