May 07, 2024, 01:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant axle MAYBE!  (Read 8160 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« on: June 16, 2015, 05:03:44 PM »

Anyone got a Reliant axle they know or believe to be good?      Not even sure that I need one yet but it appears I have a problem which might be cured most simply by swopping out the axle.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
terry t

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »

Anyone got a Reliant axle they know or believe to be good?      Not even sure that I need one yet but it appears I have a problem which might be cured most simply by swopping out the axle.

Need to find out if there is a problem with yours. as these axle seem to go for a lot of cash. and as your has been shortened there's more cost involved I have some spares here crown wheel and pinion back plates. your may be some thing simple that can be repaired Huh
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:30 PM »

Cheers Terry, posted that before the hub bearing was suggested!   

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »

Trike is coming back tonight, he's done the bearing but says the diff is on the way out, whining badly - that sounds like bearings?  He says it's ok to ride till I can't stand the noise, as I'll only be going local, so I'm going to have a think about it - of course replacing the axle would cost a fortune but I can't help wondering whether that would be easier (and therefore cost less) than splitting the thing to replace parts.
Anyway I have to raise some dosh before I do anything!

terry t

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »

That's good news BG get some riding while we still have the sun out  Cool.  as for the diff it will be cheaper to get new bearing and differential wheels etc and rebuild  the diff then getting another one and not knowing what's worn inside that.?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »

Except that I can't do it myself and the only person I know who deals with Reliant trikes and axles doesn't want to do that.  (he says you have to set it up and fiddle about with shims etc - sounds like he doesn't have a clue about that!)   It may be cheaper perhaps to hire a trailer (beg borrow or steal) and take it to someone further afield but there are few trike builders down south.

fifer

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »

Bobbi , Your Reliant dealer was not kidding about shims etc .
Have a look at the following which is required to set the Axle up from scratch in the factory ; Pretty technical .
The problem is that the crush spacer is no longer available and has not been for years .

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »

Thanks Pete, that's reassuring - ie now I know he wasn't bulls**tting me!

He has several axles available so I don't have to find one.   He reckons - and I agree - that I've probably put more miles on that axle than most trikers, added to however many miles it had before!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:31:46 PM by BikerGran » Logged

digger06

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »

there are ways round the crush washer,
using the old one with studlock and only half the torque setting does the trick,
I must have done loads like that over the last 20 yrs, with no issues whatsoever even on the big
horsepower trikes, and over 150,000 miles,
reliant axles usually feck up due to lack of oil changes, and leaks, the main ones being actual middle joint,and the input shaft, (easily cured by a speedy sleeve)

given the material, and dimensions, a crush washer would be v easily made....

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:57:39 PM by digger06 » Logged
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »

I had a leak from the input shaft some years ago but it actually lost very little oil before it was fixed.  What did come out was VERY black though! 
I checked the oil when this noise started but there was plenty in there and still clean looking so I'm a bit surprised it's going bad.  I can't help wondering if it's really a problem with the shortened half shaft but he wouldn't know that unless he pulled the shaft I spose, and it would prolly still mean a new axle cos I don't spose he has a spare half shaft lying around.

digger06

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »

a half shaft could be cheaper though, run it till it breaks or the winter hits, then strip it,,,
terry t

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »

The Reliant Man John Mason sells just the half shafts.
Why do you think its the shortened shaft that might be the problem BG
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

I don't think it Terry, just wondered.  When I rode it round to the garage after it was brought back it was still making the 'rubbing' noise that I thought was the bearing, which didn't sound like the diff to me.  Also would have thought that several hundred miles after I had the oil leak which was fixed and fresh oil put in, that the oil would look dirtier if the something was wearing badly in there (stuck my finger in to check the level and it still looked fairly new).

Thing is, he's got an axle AND he has the knowhow and the equipment to shorten it, it would be daft to take in anywhere else and get stuck with a deconstructed trike and no way of fixing it, so that's what I shall do. 

Still thinking about selling it once fixed cos I reckon being without a trike would be less annoying that having a trike in the garage that I can't ride!

terry t

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »

Ok.  the rubbing noise could be the brake shoes binding Huh do you leave the hand brake on when parked up.
 if you can try backing both the brake adjusters off two turns.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »

No all that's been checked!  I haven't had time to ride it since it came back, but before the bearing was done, the rubbing noise turned into a grinding noise at about 25/30 - he said the diff is whining so I must try it and see what he meant.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: