May 15, 2024, 01:00:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arches?  (Read 3489 times)
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »

Just a quick question,what are the msva rules regarding wheel arches/mudguards? i ask because i want to achieve the orange flapster look/no mudguards and wondered how Darren gets it through the msva/mot?

cheers Dizzy.

Dizzy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »

Not required for the MOT, but they are for the MSVA/construction & use regulations.
When Flap's was last MOT'd, the tester went & phoned the ministry for clarification. They told him if they're fitted they must be suitable for the job -catching spray, mud etc. If they're not fitted they can't be tested & therefore can't fail. So you can pass the MOT without them but run the risk of being stopped if you take it on the road guardless.
Having said that, Mr Flap intends to fit minimal guards on his now. He got a job as a lorry driver & wasn't sure if being stopped without guards would mean points on his licence, (I've heard all sorts of opinions on that, ranging from points for each missing guard, to just a fine). Lots of trikers & rodders run without guards & I've never actually met anyone who's been pulled up for it, but it's your choice.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
lunatic

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »

A guy on volksrods got 6 points for no gaurds on the front of his vw rod. Depends on the police in your area I belive and whether the vehicle looks like it should have gaurds on it. Also makes a difference if the weather is dry or not.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »

Personally I like the challenge of building something that's radical, but still within the law.
I also know it's no fun riding in the rain with no guards!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
lunatic

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »

Personally I like the challenge of building something that's radical, but still within the law.
I also know it's no fun riding in the rain with no guards!
Me too, it means you can use it anywhere anytime without the fear of being pulled up.
And when I rode the flapster I disovered the, erm, fun of riding in the rain with no gaurds! I thought the spray would go back from you as you ride, not over the top for me to collect as I went along!
geordi

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »

If I remember a Law what I was told once apon a time
The wheels of a car must not stick out further than the bodywork,

Some Mini and Land Rover owner fit arch extention when they have wide wheels.

So going on that basis I would think that trikes would come under the same ruling

geordi

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »

Found this on the web,
Dosnt really give definitive answers though

i have an SVA rule page in my glove box thats says the wheels are not alowwed to come from outside the body of the car more than 35 mm i keep getting pulled for mine too i think there trying to clamp down!!

Question - So how do the hot rod style cars get away with it?Huh

answer - You can run open wheels as long as its no raining. New MOT rules allow you to run open wheels. AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT FOUL THE BODY WORK!

i went to the MOT station the other day because my wheels protrude about 2 inches... however the tyre is under the arch...

but! .... the MOT station verified there is no law around wheels protruding the arch... however... this brings it down to TUV approval..

if the wheel and tyre combination are TUV approved for that vehicle... this means they are safe... and the vehicle is road legal....

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t108594.html

bitzman5

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »

The sva for kits is no body no arches needed as in my mates uva fugitive road legal sand rail but not allowed to travel in the rain so trikes with no body work ok

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:49:26 PM »

You are not required to have Mudguards on a trike for the the sva/mot. They can only test them for suitablilty if they are fitted if not they move on to the next item.

You will not fail for not having them. I advised a friend recently who was just about to sva his trike to remove his custom made front muddy as it would have failed on being too pointy.

It passed without it.

As stated they are required when you drive it on the road!!    Grin

Also my Beach Bastard passed with no front muddy!

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »

from all the learned people that post here it does seem that you if so wished ...fit what will pass and then fit wot u like after Grin i know that sounds maybe bending things a tad, but if you want less hassle to getting your beloved machine through the tests then be prepared to have two setups/muddies, carb outlets/exhaust type layout to use ?

More metal than skin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: