May 15, 2024, 02:07:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: B#### Jaguar  (Read 8449 times)
Olds

« on: November 01, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »

Spent the last couple of hours trying to work out how to remove the LH catalytic converter from my car.
Jaguar in their infinite wisdom, instead of mounting them under the car have mounted them to the manifold in such a position that you can hardly see them let alone get to them. They have also fitted a rigid aluminium heatshield that has to come off, before you can even see the cat to manifold nuts. This wouldn't be too bad except that to remove the heatshield it seems you need to remove the coolant tank and plumbing, the high pressure fuel lines, some of the wiring harness and a couple of rigid air conditioning pipes. Possibly even more. No wonder even Jaguar garages don't want this job.
Arrrrg!
Heat shield arrowed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:17:09 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »

Imagine the labour cost for just removing all the "gubbins" needed to get at that. I recently changed my Saab serpintine drive belt. Took ages and patience, and endless "really!" Good luck with that.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:36:48 PM »

Reminds me why I don't do any work on modern cars, including my own!!!.....mutter, mutter..."never thought I see the...." mutter, " bloody throw away soc...." mutter...... Huh

Beware the Ides of March, But!
the coppersmith

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »

Morrag, that is correct  Grin Grin
Olds

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:35:08 AM »

Had to leave this for a while and just filled the crack with exhaust paste. I know it won't last long but I'm just not up to doing it at the moment. Think I may be able to do it from underneath if I make a couple of custom cranked spanners about 500mm long.
Or I might phone around and see if I can find someone dumb enough to give a fixed price for changing it. I mean how difficult can it be. Wink
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:55:06 AM by Olds » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »

Y'see fellas, we are all in the wrong buis. as earlier I happened to catch the cost of legal fees for the Hillsborough enquiry,....£83+ million.................no worries about fixing wayward Jags, in their houses Dave, i'll bet... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Mendalot

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »

The unwritten rule of mechanics used to be ' remove the least amount of parts possible in order to do the job'.  That rule is by and large impossible now on most modern vehicles, due to the way it is all crammed in. The best way and often most time saving, is to start at the top, remove layers until you get to where you want to go.
This is what I had to take off just to change the turbo core on my van ....... nightmare Roll Eyes

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo343/PDSheridan/20160123_120234_zpstgoguepk.jpg
B#### Jaguar

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Archie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »

Whip em off, remap and hello 35bhp at least
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »

You almost need to remove that much on my motor just to change a headlight bulb!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Olds

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »

I would have been sacked if I had designed a vehicle where basic maintenance involved removing so much.
Yay. After an hour this morning I managed to remove one of the T30 heat shield screws, Smiley that promptly disappeared through the engine bay.  Sad
Boo. Broke my only 1/4" drive UJ trying to shift the second one of three. Sad
I am getting seriously peed off with this and the co-codamol doesn't seem to be helping. Cry
And now it's raining. That's it I'm giving up for the day (week or months).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:19:53 AM by Olds » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »

Friday lunchtime: rain has stopped here in the South West and dry weather heading your way  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »

We feel your pain Dave. All been there. Give me a shout if there's anything I can do to help matey.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 03:30:36 AM »

Thanks Andy. I will be fine once I feel better. I am not in any great rush, as I always have the trike or bikes to get around on.

kapri

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »

I know EXACTLY how you feel David Sad I had to give in and hand work on my standard dailies over to garages .It irks having to pay for something that my head still says I'm capable of doing ( slowly) but frees time and energy to work on something that actually interests me Wink
Olds

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »

It just gets worse !
The in tank fuel pump has packed up. No problems thinks I. Just change it.
The tank is mounted in the boot behind the rear seat and Jaguar, in their infinite wisdom have put a big hole, in the steel rear panel that forms the parcel shelf above the tank.
Unfortunately this is offset to the left but the pump/sender unit is offset to the right ! Roll Eyes
The tank has to come out, but the connections (which need a special tool) are under the car and from what I've read are a real pain to get to. So bad that some folk actually cut out a big bit of the shelf area. Shocked
To make matters worse I had just filled up with petrol. Cry
Going to sell the number plate and scrap the car. Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: