May 15, 2024, 04:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad & dangerous bodges  (Read 6743 times)
Olds

« on: August 13, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »

So far I have come across many bad bodges on the speedster.
Iffy engine mounts, Gearbox mounts made of bed frame welded to the floor etc.
But the latest one takes the biscuit.  Track rod ends, ( the wrong ones, naturally ) that have had the tapers attacked with a grinder, to make them, sort of fit.

Anyone else come across similar horrors.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »

OMG where do I start ?  I drove home the model Y hotrod from bridgewater..I'd just purchased it..discovered the steering column was held in with two very bad tack welds..every wire was red..one engine mount wasn't welded..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »

The very first trike I went to look at - a Reliant one, before anyone suggested triking my own bike, I didn't even know anything about trikes but I did think that a small chair (like a school one) held on with what looked like bits of Meccano, probably wasn't a very good indication of build quality!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
stinkey

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

Now come on BG we all started with mechano sets..I'm sure it would have been fine ?? Cry

the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »

I see horrors in this kit car conversion job I now do. Gutter bolts with square nuts are common, but ths best one I came across was a load of 6mm slot screws and nuts all painted over that I had to remove. Turned out to be those plastic number plate screws ! In shipbuilding I came across a 24mm nut in the bowels of a nuke made of plasticine type putty and painted with redlead. There is a certain bridge on the M5 near Bristol that was 2" short on the main steel span, bit of 4 by 2 was inserted and clamped temporarily until a new steel could be fitted, did any one do it ?? I didn't  Grin
digger06

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »

I think up to 50% of trikes are bodged ,true, a lot are well made and sound, especially ones on here,  ,, but for every good one parked up , I see a "bedstead special " (usually a chopped up reliant) sat festering, the owners thinking its brill and worth a fortune, (usually on a rialto estate v5)..
I see some on the roads round here that make me wonder how they pass an mot,

its why we are getting more hassle off vosa etc, imo
kapri

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »

My latest Capri front suspension conversion by a 'professional company ,too much too list but the 'best' was a bolt on the lower steering column that jammed on the exhaust pipe every 180' of rotation. At the alternative 180' position the top spring holder would kiss in the inner wing To get steering you had to effectively push the engine over  Shocked
stinkey

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »

I think up to 50% of trikes are bodged ,true, a lot are well made and sound, especially ones on here,  ,, but for every good one parked up , I see a "bedstead special " (usually a chopped up reliant) sat festering, the owners thinking its brill and worth a fortune, (usually on a rialto estate v5)..
I see some on the roads round here that make me wonder how they pass an mot,

its why we are getting more hassle off vosa etc, imo
you got out of a possible hanging very nicely there I thought ? He.he..

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »

So when are we gonna see some photos of this Capri of yours then Kev?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
andyrennison

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »

No pics. When I stripped out our old kitchen we had been using for 5 years since moving in. The Gas hob had been "fitted" by the previous diy enthusiast owner by using silicon rubber around the 10mm gas pipe stuffed into the 15mm connector on the hob, not even a nut in there!

I have vowed if I ever see him, anywhere, I will deck him.

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
kapri

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:27:02 AM »

So when are we gonna see some photos of this Capri of yours then Kev?

Possibly when it's back in one piece and 4" lower ?
minimutly

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:32 AM »

My trike was all bodge (with some nice engineering thrown in at the front end - ally sheet, swaged holes headlamp mount, er I think that was all).
Other than that, bent, welded in axle, solid prop shimmed up ( the only way to get it in without removing the engine), the frame made from bits of tent, water pipe, anything really, front disc too small for the pads - they were overhanging, figure that out, brake  slave cylinders different sizes, 4 inch pcd to 100mm wheel.
Otherwise it was very good...
stinkey

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

That trike sounds great and to think I drive miles to replace 4 washers ? I needn't bother by the sounds of it ? "Here ya go darling that be fine to ride " he,he Cool

digger06

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »

I think up to 50% of trikes are bodged ,true, a lot are well made and sound, especially ones on here,  ,,
you got out of a possible hanging very nicely there I thought ? He.he..

lol, but so true,,,,,you only have to look on ebay, or any facebook sites, some shocking stuff on there,

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »

No pics. When I stripped out our old kitchen we had been using for 5 years since moving in. The Gas hob had been "fitted" by the previous diy enthusiast owner by using silicon rubber around the 10mm gas pipe stuffed into the 15mm connector on the hob, not even a nut in there!

I had a problem with a socket in the kitchen, it kep getting hot.   So I got an electrician in to look at it - the wiring in the wall, which was taken from the electric cooker plate (which fortunately wasn't in use as we cooked on gas) - was an old bit of flex from an electric iron!  Whenn I say old I mean OLD - the sort that had a fabric cover!    Scary!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: