May 13, 2024, 09:15:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Flapster gets a new home  (Read 9135 times)
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

yes be great to meet local forum members  Wink

Dizzy
Al

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:24 AM »

good luck with it dizzy iv like that trike since i first saw it and always the same reaction every time i see it lovely
nabsim

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

Don't know if it has vaccuum advance on that carb or not Dizzy but high and low revs can be caused by vaccuum leak. I expect there can be at least 100 other causes as well though Wink

I would ride it a bit before changing gear lever and see what you reckon. Was real strange reaching back and down on mine when I first got it but soon became 'normal'. Mind you I drive auto's so any gear change except flappy paddles would be strange hehehe

DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »

Funny you should mention the vaccum thingy cos a local guy who builds trikes stopped by for a chat and was looking the trike over,I started her up and let her tick over and he said," it should have a vaccum pipe from the carb to the dizz" but this one has had short blank hoses put on both out lets.
So today ive bought one and some redex to put in the petrol but this guy said the carb may need a good clean out thought id try the redex first.  Huh

Dizzy
spanners

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

dizzy, check the dash pot on the top of the carb.
it should have  light oil in it   3 in 1  is what i have found to be best

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »

Yes topped that up with the same 3 in 1 fitted the new vaccum pipe on and put redex in the fuel,need to go for a decent blast now but will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon now  Angry

Dizzy
Cabman77

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »

give the tank a shake before you go to mix the redex up a bit. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
spanners

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »

castrol ,R,, smells better than redex  Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »

Taking it all in guys  Wink

Dizzy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »

I had my Reliant trike engine tuned by ex grass track racer Tom Airey. As we pushed it onto his rolling road, the first thing he did was remove the vacuum pipe -I just can't remember why.  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »

So that you are only using mech advance and not vaccum that alters the timing.

Toms good isn't he ? I've had a few done by him, always been worth the money and one saved me an engine as a faulty fuel pump was leaning it out top end.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »

Cost me 100 quid for half an hour's work, but worth every penny. I limped over to his house at Cheriton near Winchester, with the trike barely reaching 60mph. When he'd worked his magic he told me to take it for a spin. I couldn't believe the transformation -top end of 85 -90 & very quick acceleration. While he was working on it, he took the carb needle out & ran a file over it. When he refitted it, his gauges showed a marked improvement. I mentioned what a difference those 30 seconds of filing made -"it's not the 30 seconds of work, it's the 30 years of experience behind it that makes the difference" he said.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

When we had a tuned up 1600E for rallying years ago I remember we had to disconnect and seal up the vacuum pipe - can't remember the techical reason but the practical one was - it ran much better without it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »

Typical !! Undecided now im well confused  Cheesy

Dizzy
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »

The static or fixed advance is governed by the distributor weights, and for a run of the mill motor like yours, will be around 35 degrees of advance. When accelerating above idle speed, a further 10 degrees, give or take! is applied via the vacuum system. At or about full throttle this extra advance, created by upstream manifold depression disappears, and you are back to your fixed advance level. When setting up a motor with this type of carb, it is normal to disconnect the vac. pipe to prevent the ignition over advancing,or varying itself when "bliping" the throttle during set up adjustment.....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: