May 18, 2024, 03:04:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565106 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6060 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

Hi Kev. I didn't get the chance to come down to your place yesterday, cos the chaps left Basingstoke before I finished work. Would've liked to have a nose around your projects! (Kev donated a trailerful of spares to Nick for his MX5).
I'm on holiday for 2 weeks starting on Monday. Would like to do the Watford Rods show, even if I have to take the daily, & there's a local autojumble on Monday, but otherwise, any time you're free Sir.
My Holley's never been run on a car, (it was made in the 70s but sat in a showroom). It's had a rebuild, but just seems so complicated. It's baffled the finest minds at the workshop.  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6061 on: May 04, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

No joy with the engine & I know my limitations, so I'm not tinkering till I get some guidance.
Got a replacement mirror for the one I showered in grinding sparks though, so I fitted that after work today. I'd mounted them on the top of the window ledge of the doors, so that the stems curved in the same direction as the front & rear light mounts. Couldn't see a thing out of them though, so I've swapped them over & fitted them to the outside face of the door as they should be. That makes 'em wider & actually useable.
Sat in the cab to check them -& noticed one has clear glass & the other's tinted. Poo.
Driver's mirror in new position. Passenger one in old position.

kapri

« Reply #6062 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »

Made in the 70's ? That may actually have pinpointed the problem would you believe ?In the rebuild kit did you get ,and fit, a new power valve ?

As it's been awhile is it vacuum secondaries or manual as well?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:31:23 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6063 on: May 04, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

Vacuum Kev. I know Chris checked the power valve was working, but they come in different sizes don't they? No idea which one's fitted. Chris was having computer problems last time we spoke, so hasn't checked in here for a couple of days. I can text him though & ask what valve was fitted if you want.

terry t

« Reply #6064 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »

Made in the 70's ? That may actually have pinpointed the problem would you believe ?In the rebuild kit did you get ,and fit, a new power valve ?

As it's been awhile is it vacuum secondaries or manual as well?

i did mention the power valve back in an earler post.  when we had the open evening for the big fire up it was back firing and running rough until the timing and carb was adjusted. mind you it only had the headers on
kapri

« Reply #6065 on: May 04, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »

I remember it backfiring a few times when we were both up there Terry .Thing is the latest power valves have protection built in but earlier ones don't Likewise lack of vacuum on a worn engine may be pulling in the secondaries too soon ( spring kit Andy). Easiest way to check is simply to disable the secondary and check for improvement. Blown power valve gives an excessively rich mixture.

EDIT. If Chris has checked the operation of the PV then no worries.Secondaries will only show up when under load , same as if PV wrong rating ...but then again you may just be bottling it still ! LOL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:38:01 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6066 on: May 05, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »

Come & take a look Kev!  Wink
Chris checked the valve by blowing through it & pronounced it working.
Moggy Minor Chris & Loony both have Rover V8s for their projects, both fitted with the original SU carbs. I'm starting to think that may be the better option.

poprodder

« Reply #6067 on: May 05, 2013, 08:22:01 PM »

borrow them!!!!! lol

terry t

« Reply #6068 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

have a look at this Andy
testing to see if the right power valve is fitted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_xTUXQJQ8

a simple way to test if the vallve has blow with it still on the car
http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/power_valves.pdf
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6069 on: May 08, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »

Interesting Tel. Thanks.
Getting nowhere with this at the moment, & I really want to drive it to the local festival of transport on Sunday.
The symptoms are suggesting a fuel problem, but I really don't know where to start with the Holley carb. It's just too complicated for my little Monkey brain to understand.
So I picked these up for 50 quid from Ebay. Standard Rover fitting, SU carbs & manifold. I got them as a back-up, in case the Holley doesn't work out, but must admit, I'd rather use them, simply cos I think they look more "hotroddy". They're much simpler -more like an old bike carb, though I'm sure they'd be just as much of a pain to set up.
I'm told the Holley will give punchier acceleration, but all I want is a useable every day road car. I'm not planning on drag racing the thing. I'd want to take the K & N filters off & fit polished bellmouths though, which would no doubt completely bugger up the tuning!
Hoping to have a visit from Mr Kapri this week, so one way or another, it should be drivable soon.

Olds

« Reply #6070 on: May 08, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »

Gonna need a manifold adaptor if you're planning on fitting them up  there.  Cheesy
Sorry, just couldn't resist it Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6071 on: May 08, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

And a hole in the bonnet too.

poprodder

« Reply #6072 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »

nothing wrong with hole in bonnet!! Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6073 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6074 on: May 09, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

Bloomin' awful weather here today -howling wind & heavy rain. I didn't even take the cover off the Pop.
Took the gearbox tunnel out yesterday though. Tom, who's building a Yamaha bobber at the workshop, needed some 1/2" bore tube for his seat mount. Hang on, I know where there's a couple of pieces. The water pipes that supplied hot water from the engine of the Pop to the heater have now been recycled into a bike frame.
I'm going to fit the switch for the 2 electric fuel pumps in the recess in the tunnel where the heater valve was.

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: