May 09, 2024, 08:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Clives Cafe Racer  (Read 20809 times)
voodoo

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

You made a very nice job of that mate,be good to see it up close......Seeing that finished makes me wonder if I should keep my little XS Custom and bobber it lol....Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
panthershaun

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »

yep you should  Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
dai

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »

Well done Clive great job.Did you get it started today.I think shaun may have mistaken me for someone else, The bikes i was involved with where Race Bikes back in 1974 to 1983.I then got married and was unable to dedicate so much time.Check out [R.G.B.racing squeezing the most out of parallel twins for over 30 years] dai  Smiley
Clive

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »

Well done Clive great job.Did you get it started today.

No mate, ended up at the Salisbury MAG meet (by car), and then had to crack on with a helmet that should have been painted for a customer a week ago!!!!! (WWII bomber theme, pin-up etc) Got the basework done on it, and hopefully get on with the artwork tomorrow, as well as getting another go at starting the cafe!

Clive

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/PICT0001.jpg
Clives Cafe Racer

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/PICT0002.jpg
Clives Cafe Racer
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:11:35 PM by Clive » Logged

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
voodoo

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »

Nice paint as ever....Wierd thing is I was going to paint up one of my full face helmets with the metal plate design but guess i will think of something else now...Voodoo...

Custom Paint Spraying...
Clive

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:48 PM »

Why? The aging/rust is great airbrush practice! I use transparent black, and a mix of bronze pearl and candy rootbeer!

Anyway, I'm now itching to get the bike on the road, now it starts, so phoned DVLA to see where the registration document is. Guess what, it went in the post this evening!!!! Wonder how much longer it would have taken if I hadn't phoned!?!?!?!

The reason it wasn't starting was this:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/Cafe%20Racer/PICT0026.jpg
Clives Cafe Racer

This is a small sample of the fuel drained from the tank and carbs. It's about half fuel, half water, and half ( Huh) rust and gunk!!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
voodoo

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »

Yep that will sure make it hard work to try t start lol....on my chop i have a clear fuel filter and everytime the bike sits for a few days it fills up with fuel that is almost tango coloured lol...soon as ive started the bike it flushes that through and then the fuel runs as clear as it should be.......Glad its all coming together for you now....Voodoo......

Custom Paint Spraying...
Clive

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the second throttle cable on these sorts/age of bike?

I'd fitted the first, that operated in the correct sense, opening the throttle when the twist grip is turned, and then it would, albeit slowly re-un-twist (Huh) the grip as the carb spring kicked in and closed the throttle. When the second was fitted, the throttle, and grip stays put where it is when twisted.

As far as my tiny brain can work out it's not actually doing anything (except adding friction to the whole operation)! When 'throttle open' it's being pulled, when the spring is closing the throttle, it's being pushed back up inside the outer cable. Surely the first cable does all the work. Pulls the throttle open when twist grip is turned, and via the spring pulls the grip to the shut position when released!

Clive

nabsim

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »

I may be wrong but I think the two cables are meant for a push/pull arrangement instead of using a spring at the carb end, positive shut off.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »

I always thought the same, though I don't think I've ever had a bike that's had 2. Are you using the throttle unit & carb from different bikes?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Clive

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »

No buddy! Completely standard set up!!

Clive

Clive

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »

Sorted!! Having completely gone through each component in turn in the whole system, it turned out to be.........

Wait for it

The end piece of the rubbergrip rubbing on the end of the handlebar tube!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Clive

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »

Simples!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Clive

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »

MoT is turning into a saga on this!

Booked it in on monday, started fine, bumped it off the driveway onto the road to the sound of a big CRAAAACK!!! Number plate cracked by tyre!!

Ordered a new one, and built two little brackets to tilt it to give more clearance!

New plate arrived on weds, with a letter missing!!!! Phone call made and another put in the post!

Arrived today, fitted, and off to the MoT centre! Great bunch of motorcycle orientated MoT'ers there, and very professional!!

Failed on:

Play in head bearing - tightened
Revs increasing on full right lock - cable re-routed
Front brake binding - re-stripped and assembled
Front brake lever touching the bar when pulled (my fault for fitting one off a 125!!) - ordered a right one...hopefully
Swing arm bolt loose!!!!! - tightened
No 'bounce' in the front forks!! (I'd over filled them!!) - drained and re-filled with the CORRECT amount of oil
Exhaust gases escaping from manifold (again, my fault, forgot the gaskets!!) - ordered

Everything fixed, except the exhaust gaskets, and front brake lever/master cylinder, but these are both winging their way to me as I type!

Clive
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:34:44 PM by Clive » Logged

voodoo

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »

Not too bad at all then as its all minor things....Good luck on the retest...Voodoo...
Oh if you get stuck for the brake lever ive got a couple of complete GS front brake set ups you could have one of those to get your mot with........
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:20:56 AM by voodoo » Logged

Custom Paint Spraying...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: