May 13, 2024, 05:52:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Basingstoke canal  (Read 3843 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: April 25, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »

Odiham, Hampshire, a couple of miles from Basingstoke.
Now the lighter evenings are finally here it's too nice to sit indoors, so I'm off for a stroll most evenings. Lovely walk along the canal bank, deer feeding on the opposite bank, a kingfisher, owls hooting as I walked back. Very pleasant. England in the Spring is a beautiful place.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Mendalot

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »

England in the Spring is a beautiful place.

You didnt think that the other week when you were laying under the pop with water running down your neck and out of your troooosers Grin Grin Grin

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
merv

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »

England in the Spring is a beautiful place.

You didnt think that the other week when you were laying under the pop with water running down your neck and out of your troooosers Grin Grin Grin

Grin Grin Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »

Very true. There was more water in my socks than there is in that canal.

Basingstoke cemetery. One of our other cemeteries is famous for once accidentally burying someone who wasn't yet dead, (don't take a nap if you ever visit Basingstoke).

Iceman

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »

One of our other cemeteries is famous for once accidentally burying someone who wasn't yet dead, (don't take a nap if you ever visit Basingstoke).
[/quote]

How did they know? Did they hear knocking? A muffled shout of "your too early!"? Was the doctor taking backhanders from the undertaker? Please explain or I shall never visit Basingstoke never mind sleep there....

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
JayJay

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »

Some good questions Iceman.  I too await Andy's answer.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 05:19:42 AM »

Ti's true. July 1674,  Mrs Blunden was buried in the Holy Ghost cemetery while comatose due to drinking poppy water.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Iceman

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:51:14 AM »

Thank you,Mr Olds. I've never heard of Poppy Water. Sounds like powerful stuff. I don't suppose its odourless, tasteless, legal and still for sale by any chance? Is it peculiar to Hampshire? My mother in law lives in Bishops' Sutton ....

Sorry to distract from your photos Mr Andy. Nice to see some green - it snowed here yesterday (Fort William) and the  snow gates are shut at Braemar.  The trees are just coming into bud so I guess Spring will show up eventually. Ah! The price you pay for living in paradise.... Tom Grin

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
the coppersmith

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »

Daffodils been and gone down here Iceman, trying to save the tulips from being frozen this morning though, from Paradise too  Grin
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

Alongside the canal is Odiham Castle

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hampshire-countryside/odiham-castle.htm

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Mendalot

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »

Wow, that looks like is straight out of a Star Wars film set.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »

Where's that? I never seen that.

Part of the new Star Wars film was filmed just up the road at Greenham Common, near Newbury, Berks. which used to be an American airbase. The Rebels' base featured the unmistakable Cruise missile bunkers. They held a car show there in 2013 & every time the base came up in the film all I could think was, I parked my truck right where that X Wing fighter's stood.

Mrs Blunden

http://www.maxlove.co.uk/blunden.htm

Baychimp

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »

It only looks like that because all the locals stole the stone of the outer walls. whats left is the infill, which is soft and is crumbling away.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »

They had foam insulation back then?

JayJay

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:57 PM »

Where's that? I never seen that.

Part of the new Star Wars film was filmed just up the road at Greenham Common, near Newbury, Berks. which used to be an American airbase. The Rebels' base featured the unmistakable Cruise missile bunkers. They held a car show there in 2013 & every time the base came up in the film all I could think was, I parked my truck right where that X Wing fighter's stood.

Mrs Blunden

http://www.maxlove.co.uk/blunder.htm

I will have to tell my Grandsons that. Rick and I were there too. The show, not the Rebels' base! Cheesy The boys have seen the film. Somehow they seem to have seen every new film I mention without hardly ever going to the pictures. Hum, I wonder how they manage that. However next holidays I will either get the blu ray or download the HD version. I have lost track of the Star Wars films ever since they started doing prequels but I did enjoy the first three in the franchise.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: