May 14, 2024, 05:54:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Moggy wheels fit a Reliant axle?  (Read 1498 times)
Watsonic

« on: September 07, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »

I'm looking to replace the alloy wheels on my Trike. (Reliant Axle) Not that there's any thing wrong with them but I have a vision.......A wide, deep dished steel wheel with a chrome hub cap........I'm thinking of using Morris minor wheels, banded to around 8" or maybe 10".

I now that the PDC is 4" but what about the centre hole, will they fit or will they need modification ? Has any body used Moggy wheels? or are there any other Steels that could be recommended that are reasonably cheep and fairly easy to get hold of.

I did consider using maybe Vauxhall, Early Golf or Mini wheels but Ideally I want 14" and they have to be deeply dished.

Any thoughts
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »

Banding, (cutting the wheel down the middle & adding a hoop of fresh metal to widen it), used to be frowned on & deemed unsafe, but technology has come on a bit in recent years & it can be done far more accurately these days. Tanya had a set of Moggy Minor wheels banded by 4 inches for her trike project by a guy who does them for stock car racing. If they'll withstand the rigours of track use they're good enough for us. 40 quid a wheel if I remember right. Yes, the centre holes clear the Reliant hubs, but she's got disc brakes rather than drums. Because the banded wheels retain the original centres they still have the mounting lugs for hub caps, though she won't be using them.
Check back through her trike build thread in Trike Tech to see how they worked out. 
Tazet's trike build
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:30:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Watsonic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »

Nice one thanks.

I've been given details of a guy in Liverpool who's been doing this for years for Bangers, Stocks & Track cars a mate of mines had some work done by him that was spot on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: