May 13, 2024, 11:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Registration ............  (Read 9274 times)
ROD

« on: November 24, 2009, 05:40:47 AM »

Been reading Andys trike build about vin numbers he applied for.Whats the process with all this malarkey?Do you apply for the vin early just so it can be stamped on the frame easily while everything is stripped down? So basically its Vin first,then msva ?
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »

You will need a vin for the Msva. You can apply for one or make your own one up. Must be 17 characters and alpha numeric and not match any other vin number.

You might want to check the nuber of characters bit but think it's 17.

They are not keen on you doing it but it's ok to.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
tbone

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

There is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a Vehicle Identity Number (VIN).
So getting one is the first step.

MSVA inspection is next because you wont get a registration number before the vehicle is approved.

Mot is the final step as you cant mot a vehicle that has no registration number.

Obviously the last 2 steps involve taking your trike somewhere so be very careful how you do it, bareing in mind that you also need to have insurance cover to have a motorised vehicle on the public highway.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
spanners

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »

anyone fancy registering mine for  me   i HATE officialdom  and paperwork Huh Huh Huh

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
bitzman5

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »

Maybe its changed but in 2003 i took paper work to the dvla and thy came to my garage looked at kitcar (blitz in 4 wheels)i had built put stamped Vin numbers of my choice then i had to informed police who duly came and put the Queens  crest at both ends of the numbers ( so no alterations possible)  then took to SVA station

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
JayJay

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »

Hi All,

I bought an unregistered trike in May this year and put it through the registration process myself.

My main concern was the MSVA - which was why the chap I bought it off was happy to sell it before he had to go through that.  Not that he or I had any concerns about the trike, as it was very well put together.  Chevy Rick had come with me to see the trike and he didn't have any qualms either.

I had read that disabled riders (which I am) didn't need to go through the MSVA but as I wanted it to be above board if I sold it, I thought I would still have to if I wanted to sell it to a non-disabled rider.  This turned out not to be the case as once the trike is registered no other tests - other then the normal MOT - are needed.  I went to my local DVLA and double checked this and they were very helpful.  That was good news because it meant we didn't need to trailer the trike to the MSVA inspection depot which in our case, is Southampton.  As long as the weight of the trike was under 450k and I signed a declaration (something the DVLA put together) when I registered it to say I am disabled then all is okay.  This saved a lot of time and worry.  All the DVLA did, was come out to my home and check the trike over to make sure part numbers matched up with the registration form I had filled in and that the trike was what I said it was.

The chap who came out was very nice and helpful and he thought the trike was very nice - he was very complimentry.  I told him I had a VIN the chap I bought it off had given me but he said I had to use one provided by them and that he would post it out to me in a couple of days so it could be stamped on the bike.  He was happy for us to do that and Chevy Rick stamped it for me.  The only downside to doing it at this point is Rick had to remove some of the paint on the forks to stamp the numbers properly.  However, I can't see how it could have been done any other way in this instance.

Once I had got this far and booked the MOT and checked I could get access to a weighbridge, I insured the trike.  They would only issue cover for 14 days (normally it is 30) so that did put a bit of pressure on me in case something went wrong - 14 days soon whizzes by - but fortunately nothing went wrong.  The insurance needed loads of information about the trike but fortunately I got cover and at a reasonable rate - £160 for a year fully comp and starting with no no-claims.  For me, this was probably the most difficult bit as some of the quotes I was getting were ridiculous - £700 - and these were from the well known bike insurers.

The next step was to get the trike weighed and MOT'd.  The MOT garage would need to check the VIN and sign a separate letter provided by the DVLA to confirm the VIN on the trike.  I then had to return this and the weighbridge certificate to the DVLA when I registered it.  The weighbridge certificate came in at 310 kilos which is well below the limit for this taxation class.  I did this on the way to the MOT even though I shouldn't have really because of the insurance - but hey, I was on the way to the MOT!

Once I had all the necessary paperwork, all I had to do was go the local DVLA and hand it all over and pay for the tax.  That was it.  Fairly painless and all done within about a fortnight.  Maybe I was lucky our DVLA was so helpful and fast.

Here is a previous post relating to my trike if you are interested with some piccies.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5550.msg68884#msg68884

Hope this is helpful, JJ  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »

Please note: You no longer need an MOT for the first 3 years  after registration if the vehicle has been through the MSVA.

Regardless of whether the trike is made of new or second hand parts. It may also be the case if you do it through the disabled exemption.

This is because the new V5 you get even a "Q reg" states "new at first registration" and that exempts you from the MOT. Vosa the Dvla and the Police are now aware of this. SO that pays for the SVA. Pukka...

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »

I mknow this thread is about registration but I was particularly interested in what you said about insurance
The insurance needed loads of information about the trike but fortunately I got cover and at a reasonable rate - £160 for a year fully comp and starting with no no-claims.

What company is that with?  Cos I'm sure I'm paying more than that WITH NCB!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

ik
Mot is the final step as you cant mot a vehicle that has no registration number.

Incorrect I'm afraid Mr Tbone. 

Prior to the recent change to the regs meaning you don't need an MOT (see my previous post) I would take my Trikes to my local MOT station a couple of days prior to the MSVA. they would mot it on the VIN number. The DVLA would then arrange a new MOT cert via VOSA when I got to register it.

At that time you could not register it without an MOT.

I also checked this with my MOT man and it's fine to MOT a vehicle with out a registration number.  Wink

(must admit though that many MOT station have trouble working out how to do it.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:10:54 AM by ByzMax » Logged

Chevy Rick

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »

I must make a small correction to Jay Jays article, I stamped the VIN no on the headstock not the forks.
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »

Very interesting set of threads will come in very useful for me eerrrrr in the long distant future and just a note to Jay jay,smashin trike mate very smart.

Dizzy
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »

cracking ride JJ Grin info from all parties on this thread is brill Smiley

More metal than skin
JayJay

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

Please note: You no longer need an MOT for the first 3 years  after registration if the vehicle has been through the MSVA.

Regardless of whether the trike is made of new or second hand parts. It may also be the case if you do it through the disabled exemption.

This is because the new V5 you get even a "Q reg" states "new at first registration" and that exempts you from the MOT. Vosa the Dvla and the Police are now aware of this. SO that pays for the SVA. Pukka...

I will check this out in regards to my Q plate.  Cheers for this ByzMax.

Also thanks for the kind comments about my trike - Dizzy and Valleysboy.

BikerGran, check this link but see what Bitzman5 replied (reply 20).  http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6547.msg78910#msg78910

JJ Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
ROD

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

Very interesting stuff. But now my brain hurts!..................S-o-o I need to apply for a VIN first ,then go for an MOT,then MSVA?
  It doesnt need an mot for the first 3 years after the first one?
  Can I legally ride it to the MOT? (if Ive got insurance)bearing in mind it has no reg number .
 Once MOT'd can I legally ride it to the MSVA test centre?
 At what point do they issue the reg number?
tbone

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »

If you are rebuilding or radically altering a vehicle, or building a vehicle from a kit, it'll need to meet certain criteria before the vehicle is registered. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office will assign the original or an appropriate registration mark on the evidence provided.

Registration of vehicles without identity
The following procedures must be followed when making application for the registration and first licensing of a vehicle without identity:

You should use your nearest DVLA local office
Applications from outside a DVLA local office's catchment area will be refused
You will be asked to produce documentation confirming your name and address
You will be asked to produce official receipts from identifiable suppliers for the components used in a rebuild. The authenticity of receipts may be checked. They will be stamped by the DVLA local office before return
All vehicles without identity (VIN and registration mark) will be inspected by DVLA and referred to the police. Applicants who rebuild vehicles and can prove the origins of the components need not be concerned. However, if the police believe a vehicle to be stolen DVLA will refuse to register and it may be impounded.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: