May 12, 2024, 08:07:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Brighton Speed Trials could be axed amid safety fears  (Read 9335 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »

From Monday's Brighton Argus newspaper (16 Dec 2013)

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10879630.Brighton_Speed_Trials_could_be_axed_amid_safety_fears/

The world's longest-running motorsports event could be stopped over safety fears.

The first Brighton Speed Trials took place in Madeira Drive, Brighton, in 1905.

But organisers say they fear for its future as Brighton and Hove City Council has not yet accepted an application to host the event in 2014.

Admitting concerns about the safety of the event following the death of a competitor in 2012, leading councillors said they had to weigh up all the options before making a decision.

But Tony Watts, of Brighton and Hove Motor Club, claimed the uncertainty was because the Green-led authority did not believe the event “fitted in” with their view of a modern Brighton.

Raising the issue at a meeting of full council on Thursday, Mr Watts said: “We have reason to believe this decision is purely ideological and has little if any foundation in fact.

“The loss of this event will mean the loss of over 100 years of history.”

Mr Watts said the decision would lead to a loss of income to retailers, the closure of the club and its Madeira Drive headquarters.

He added: “This situation will leave the council ultimately as being seen as anti-motorsport.”

Following the death of mother-of-three Charlotte Tagg, this year’s event was cancelled while a coroner investigated.

At the inquest the jury heard how vehicles were travelling at 150mph on a road with a 30mph limit.

In its place Brighton and Hove City Council agreed the seafront could be used for the inaugural Paint Run.

In response to Mr Watt, Green councillor Geoffrey Bowden, who is chairman of the council’s economic development committee, said: “Let’s be clear, this has absolutely nothing to do with the ideology of this administration.

“It is for personal safety grounds that the officers have made this recommendation.

“Businesses on the seafront also have to close and we are inundated with complaints from people who cannot access the beach [on that weekend].”

But Conservative councillor Ken Norman said cancelling the event would “destroy” part of the city’s great heritage.

Fellow Conservative councillor Garry Pelzer Dunn called for the local authority to have a “sense of realism”.

He asked if the council would have to close the beach, adding many more people had died in the sea than at the speed trials.

A decision is expected to be taken by the council’s economic development committee in the new year.

Here's a link to the Brighton and Hove Council meeting that recently discussed the Speed Trials (Council Agenda Item 61(c) ). The sound is poor, but if you go to 23 mins in, you'll hear the debate

http://www.brighton-hove.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/122589

Brighton & Hove City Council  Agenda Item 61(c)

NOTICE OF MOTION
CONSERVATIVE GROUP
BRIGHTON NATIONAL SPEED TRIALS

This Council notes that the historic Brighton National Speed Trials event, organised by the Brighton & Hove Motor Club, has been an integral part of the city’s outdoor events calendar since 1905, when Sir Harry Preston persuaded the Town Corporation to lay a tarmac motor racing track between Black Rock and the Aquarium. This much-loved event attracts many visitors to Brighton & Hove and hence makes a significant contribution to the local economy.
This Council notes with concern the proposals to stop supporting the BrightonNational Speed Trials on Madeira Drive and fears that if they are not given permission to take place; other motor vehicle based events such as the Veteran Car Run could also be put in jeopardy.
The Council believes that important historic events should not be removed from our annual calendar as this will destroy the heritage of our great City.
The Council further believes that efforts should be made to ensure that Madeira Drive continues to attract important motoring events, as well as many other diverse events, throughout the year and not replace any of them with new events that could easily be hosted in other areas of the city.
Therefore, this Council resolves to ask the Economic Development & Culture Committee to continue to support the staging of the Brighton National Speed Trials event in 2014 and beyond, by granting landlords consent to the Brighton & Hove Motor Club for the closure of Madeira Drive.

Proposed by: Cllr. K. Norman Seconded by: Cllr. G. Theobald
Supported by: Cllrs Barnett, Peltzer Dunn, Simson, A. Norman, Wealls, Cox,Bennett, Smith, Pidgeon, Mears, Janio, C. Theobald, Brown, Hyde and Wells.

From the Argus 19 Sept 2013 - relating to the inquest http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10684781.Accidental_death_verdict_in_Brighton_speed_trial_inquest/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:17:39 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »

That'd be a real shame to lose such a historic event, but I can understand the council's point of view. The trouble is, if you move it to a safer venue, it's no longer the Brighton Speed Trials.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
the coppersmith

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:56 PM »

I was there when the lady got killed 2 years back, I think then the decision was on the cards. Real shame, I love the trials and Brighton is a buzzing place while its on. Wish we could get something like it down here in the west country. Health and Safety has a place but we all know the risk and sign the disclaimer. I feel a petition coming on.
scannerzer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

all competitors know the risks they take when they sit in or on their vehicle,those risks only vary slightly with location,no matter where you crash at high speed the outcome won't be good.it would be a pity to see it cancelled hopefully common sense will prevale,much the same discussion take's place over here if anyone is hurt at the nw200 etc
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

I can see the point of the family who'd like the road improved for the event, but I can also see the point of the council that it's a 30mph road.  I don't suppose local council tax payers would want to fund the roadworks!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
hunter

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »

I was there when the lady got killed 2 years back, I think then the decision was on the cards. Real shame, I love the trials and Brighton is a buzzing place while its on. Wish we could get something like it down here in the west country. Health and Safety has a place but we all know the risk and sign the disclaimer. I feel a petition coming on.

They used to run speed trials on the promenade at Weston super-mare.

I
Tony oily bike

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »

An e-petition has recently been generated to save the Speed Trials (see the link) which runs from 19/12/2013 to 23/01/2014.
If you feel this historic event, considered to be the oldest running event in Britain, and possible the world, is worth saving, PLEASE add your name to the petition, and ask to your friends too.
If any of you are on other forums, please feel free to copy the link.

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=410&RPID=11175561&HPID=11175561

Just as a bit of info:
You may have heard it stated by Councillors that Madeira Drive is a 30mph road (for normal public use) which is true, what you didn’t hear from them is that, excuse my grammar, the Coroner’s Inquest did not find the road ‘at fault’.
On that day, there had been something like 200 runs before the tragic incident.

The Coroner also found no fault with the event running or documentation. In fact, the term ‘exemplary’ was used.

I question how well informed Cllr Christopher Hawtree (Green) is when he refers to the Speed Trials at Brighton as happening in an “adhoc way” stating that they don’t belong in Brighton, but in the deserts of Nevada.

Bearing in mind the Speed Trials are run under MSA (the Motor Sports Association) and ACU (Auto Cycle Union) permits, who are basically the governing bodies of motorsport in Britain, and as such, for an event to happen, track inspections, licensing and safety requirements are adhered to, and bearing in mind the Coroner’s comment of how ell the event was run, I personally, am quite astounded that Cllr Christopher Hawtree (Green) considers this ‘adhoc’.
Me thinks, even after he starts to spell Nevada, he means Utah.
Refer to the webcast, 44mins 15 secs onwards.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
hunter

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »

DONE.

I
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

Signed Cool
merv

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »

Done

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
spanners

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

done ,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »

done and the wife did it too.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »

Signed that earlier today!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
hunter

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »

done and the wife did it too.

Wish mine would. Wink

I
cunningplan

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:31:45 AM »

It would be sad to see this event closed, as already said its got over 100 years of history. I read somewhere that the person who started the event paid for the road to be paved just to hold them there, I know the council have taken over but this should be taken into consideration.
Its sad and my heart goes out to her family, but in the early hours of Sat morning a girl walked into the sea just down the road and she still has not been found. Are they going to block all the beaches to stop this happening again??
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: