May 13, 2024, 02:51:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Flapster gets a new home  (Read 9134 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: September 25, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »

The "Flapster" is a bright orange Reliant trike, built by forum member "Flap" & I nearly a decade ago now. It was featured in Back Street Heroes magazine & won a nice little collection of trophies. Unfortunately Darren, (Flap), hasn't had the time to maintain & ride it much recently. He took it to Lunatic's workshop for some pre MOT work & it's been sat in the corner, collecting paint overspray & grinding dust, ever since. A real shame as it's the one many new forum members quote as the trike that inspired them to build their own. It needs to be ridden.
For those who don't read all the forum sections, it's been mentioned in General Tech that Darren's finally decided to sell. Forum member Mr Dizzy stepped forward & made an offer. A figure of £2,200 was agreed & Loony set about recomissioning the beast. Some new plugs, a new battery, a bit of engine fettling & a full day's worth of cleaning & it was ready for Terry T to take to the MOT station. After not turning a wheel for almost 3 years, it passed the test with no problems at all.
That was a week ago & early this morning Dizzy & his good lady, Jayne, arrived with a trailer to collect their new purchase.
Flap was on hand to sort out the paperwork & to wave goodbye to The Orange One.
Darren, (Flap), & new owner Paul, (Dizzy).     

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

850 ccs of raw Reliant power.
Darren has one last sit while Paul picks up a few riding tips. Our hardtail trikes are deliberately basic & low tech -cos we like 'em like that. There's nothing particularly clever about The Flapster's design but it does make people smile.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:48:22 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »

Paul, Jayne & Marcus, (Lunatic).

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »

Darren watches wistfully as new owner Dizzy takes over the controls.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »

After being stood unused for so long, the little Reliant could do with a good blast to clear out the cobwebs -literally. Just a quick test run up & down the yard for now though. Runs a bit lumpy at the moment, but nothing a good service won't sort out.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »

While Paul was getting acquainted with the Flapster, forum member Rick, (Rick2003), arrived. Nice to see you mate.  Wink
Marcus, Darren, Rick & Paul.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »

We had to take the rear wheels off to fit it in the trailer for the journey back up to Birmingham.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »

Despite us complaining about it being in the way in the workshop for the last 3 years, it's gonna be strange not having it there.
We'll be scanning the bike magazines for photos of it at shows & rallies next year.
Keep in touch guys. Hope it brings you plenty of good times.
So long Flapster.  Wink

Now, about my advertising fee... Grin

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »

Quote from: Manky Monkey
it does make people smile.
Was just thinking that when you said it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »

Cant stop grinning  Grin

Like to say thanks to Andy,Marcus and Darren for a smooth transaction yesterday when Jayne and I arrived to pick up the Flapster.
But disapointed that there were no Jaffa cakes to go with our coffees   Angry
Jayne was very suprised at just how good the orange trike looks and is trying to claim a large stake in her ownership!!
Me on the other hand new without seeing the trike before in the flesh just how tidy a ride it is after studying my original BSH Magazine inch by inch for the last 4yrs or so......i'm not disapointed  Wink
We got home about 3.00pm after stopping off for lunch in a lovely pub called The Star,just down the road from Loonys work shop.Of course, I had to get a table with a good view of my new toy  Grin
With an uneventful ride home, i proceeded to struggle on my own to remove Flapster from the trailer with no rear wheels which was er.....interesting but when you have no patience like me waiting for help was never an option.
The wheels were back on in a jiffy......no dig intended mr manky and she was running on choke for 5-10 minutes on the drive while i examined every thing saying "oh so thats how they did this and thats how they did that".
Today,so far,ive insured Jayne and myself to ride and will be taxing later this afternoon........with luck  Grin.
Watch this space !!!

Dizzy
zakboy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »

so we now have a flapster in the west Midlands, just like to say well done to you dizzy and your good lady, I'm sure that the flapster will bring you much pleasure for a long time to come and will put a smile on the faces of all who see her well done Smiley Smiley Smiley all the best zak

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

Cheers Zakboy, I took the paper work to the post office to tax and .........its tax exempt !!! huray ive saved some money !! Grin well chuffed,put my tax disc on and went for a ride.Dont think there will be much to adjust either, brake pedal,(a bit of play to take out) ive got short legs as im not 6ft and need the pedals up as high as poss.The gear stick,may need to be a bit longer,I keep going to grab my balls every time i change gear and that makes my eyes water   Shocked The only other thing is the carb might need a good clean out as its revin high and low without touchin the throttle but hey.......it aint been run for 3yrs  Smiley oh yeah and this was me today  Cool cruisin  Cheesy

Dizzy
hornet6

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »

Hi dizzy. Where abouts are you in the west mids. Ime near wolverhampton.

no projects ever finished
DIZZY

Ride it like you want it

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »

Well not far from you Mr Hornet, im in Dudley ,well Cradley Heath  Grin

Dizzy
hornet6

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »

Really close then....nice to know theres a few of us fairly local. Hope to see the flapster in the flesh next year then if Im,e out and about that way.

no projects ever finished
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: