May 12, 2024, 12:24:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptor  (Read 5304 times)
Olds

« on: January 14, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »

Sparrowhawk on our lawn yesterday just after it caught lunch. It wasn't too happy about me taking the pic but was not going to leave a meal.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:17:30 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »

Great pic. I love it when they come hurtling through the garden, like a missile on a mission.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

It must be living locally. Just seen it take another bird in the back garden. This time the prey was a smaller bird and it flew away taking it's lunch with it.
Must have decided to have a takeaway today.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »

Brutally beautiful.
When I lived with Taz in Guildford we put out food for the birds. About once a week there'd be a sudden streak of bright yellow tallons swooping on the bird feeders & some unwary small bird would disappear. I think the Hawk thought we were putting out feathered food for it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »

You ought to send that into one of those wildlife competitions. There is usually one a year. You really are enjoying that new camera you got.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »

Grin You are right about the camera JJ. Not quite got to grips with the settings yet. Bit of a tech luddite.
Another pic taken yesterday. Greater spotted woodpecker.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:49:05 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:38:13 PM »

We used to get those in the garden in Guildford. The neighbours got the green ones because they had a better lawn Smiley (green ones feed from the ground, black & white from trees).

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »

We had a sparrowhawk hunting over our garden for a few days last month, but haven't seen it since - maybe that's because I haven't been feeding the birds much as the weather has been warmer.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Bus Boy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »

During the last 6 months or so, I have seen Red Kite's on several occasions within a 2 mile radius of our humble abode. Makes a change to the usual Buzzards.

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »

A conservation group released some Red Kites in our area, (Basingstoke in Hampshire), & they seem to be doing well. I'm a Postie & I see them almost every day, flying at rooftop level over the housing estate I deliver to. We've got Buzzards here as well.

JayJay

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:55:30 AM »

A conservation group released some Red Kites in our area, (Basingstoke in Hampshire) ...

I didn't realise that. I have been to
Bwlch Nant yr Arian in Ponterwyd nr Aberystwyth. You probably know that there was a major effort to encourage the resurgence of Red Kites in Wales. At the above, you can not only see loads of them flying about, the place also has daily Red Kite feeding. That really is an amazing sight. These birds of prey are not only beautiful, they are quite big.
JJ  Cool

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »

Apparently the re-introduction of the red kite to the Chiltern area has been so succesful that because of their numbers they are becoming a pest - people are being asked to stop feeding them so that they disperse into smaller groups, but it's not happening.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11450509.Red_Kites_are_becoming_a_pest___don_t_feed_them__say_conservation_groups/

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Mendalot

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »

You beat me to that one BG. Generally once a year Karen and I drive over to Turville on the edge of the Chilterns  for a walk and nice pub lunch. The hills surrounding the village are now inundated with Red Kites, when you are walking along the ridges you are above the birds as they hunt along the valley, tis a great view to have of them. Wish I was good with a camera.
Incidentally Turville is where they filmed The Vicar of Dibley Grin

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »

Yes the problem with Kites, is they don't Hunt as they are not birds of prey,
They feed on carrion,Or whatever you feed them.

I
JayJay

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »

Yes the problem with Kites, is they don't Hunt as they are not birds of prey,
They feed on carrion,Or whatever you feed them.

Not strictly true Hunter. They are classed as birds of prey. They will feed on carrion (the way they are fed at Bwlch Nant yr Arian) but they will also hunt for small mammals. Perhaps they are just lazy birds of prey!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: