May 21, 2024, 03:39:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: suzuki dr650 project  (Read 5253 times)
hornet6

« on: October 13, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »

Hi. At this moment in time I,ve got a couple of projects on the go.Also, underneath my workbench,tucked away and wrapped up,is a suzuki dr650 engine. I,me hoping that one day when my other projects are finished,I will be able to drag it out and make either a cafe-racer or another hardtail bobber or even some type of board racer look alike. I,ve read on a few websites that the 40mm carb on the dr is its major let down.
To get more power and grunt from the motor,the best thing to do is to change the carb for a 42mm harley davidson carb. Ive recently bought one of these from a mate of a mate,but not sure if Ive done the right thing.
ie...will I have to jet it down to make it work properly,or change anything else internally to get it running right? The thing is, I think this will be a great project once its done...I can just imagine ripping big chunks of tarmac out of the road with all the torque of the motor. Grin Grin     

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

What does the DR look like? Is that a big single like the SR, Savage? Sounds interesting.
I've got similar worries about the mark 1 Amal carbs I bought for my XS650 Yam. I know they run well on 930 Amals, (30mm), but the ones I've bought are 26mm. Now I'm worried I may not be able to jet them up enough -the joys of buggering about with stuff that ran perfectly well when it left the factory!
Although I'm building a chop myself, I'd vote for the board racer style, just for a bit more style.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hornet6

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »

Yes. The dr is a big single cylinder trail bike. The engine is a 650,but they did go up in size to a 750 and a whopping 800 single. Something that size would have some serious torque and potential as a project  Grin Grin. I will have to do some more digging about on tinterweb to find out how to set this harley carb up on a big jap single.....very interesting.  Grin Grin Huh Huh 

nabsim

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

No help for Hornet but Burlen Fuels should be able to advise on the Amals Andy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »

Yup, got them saved in my Favourites List. Not a big problem at the moment, but will need looking at eventually.
Piccies Hornet!  Smiley

hornet6

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »

Like I say, Ive only got the engine and the carb so far.....and a load of ideas spinning round in my head. Also gotta finish the gs 500 first,then the divvy bobber before I even look at the big single.

hornet6

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

The lump

hornet6

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

That's interesting -& out of it's original home I doubt many people would know what the hell it is. Quite British looking.

The North

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »

A big old girder fork british frame  M20 or similar would be a sleeper with that engine. Might be interesting trying to stay on it though or stop it. Huh Huh Grin Grin
   I got a yamaha xt 600 with that stupid YDIS carb lay out its a git to start at times i thought about sticking a pair of SU s on it. Its dragging air in some where i am sure of it but can i find it no how.  Sad
zakboy

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:42 PM »

Thought you had finished the gs500 John  Smiley

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
hornet6

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »

Hi zak. Its running fine now....carbs are finally sorted. Still needs lot of little bits to finish off. Needs the seat re-covering,indicators back n front,mirrors,bar end weights,side panels making,new rear  tyre and maybe new fork seals. I intend to get a spray job on it eventually,but for now I just need to get it on the road for end of february. Will pop round once its done matey if thats ok with you.   

zakboy

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »

Hi zak. Its running fine now....carbs are finally sorted. Still needs lot of little bits to finish off. Needs the seat re-covering,indicators back n front,mirrors,bar end weights,side panels making,new rear  tyre and maybe new fork seals. I intend to get a spray job on it eventually,but for now I just need to get it on the road for end of february. Will pop round once its done matey if thats ok with you.   
your always welcome eny time you know that theres a bloke down the road who as a busness covering seats, iv never seen beter than his work nice guy very help full

hornet6

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »

Thats good to know zak. Do you think he can re-cover the seat pan like a cafe-racer style. Ive made the seat pan myself,and it just needs the foam making and shaping with that hump at the rear end. Do you think he will be able to do it?

zakboy

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »

He can do any thing you want hornet, iv pm'd you his number etc he covered two trike seats for me once i was over the moon with them
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:32:19 PM by zakboy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: