May 16, 2024, 03:50:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse gear on reverse trike  (Read 2869 times)
kapri

« on: February 09, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »

Planning ahead and I'm in need of reverse gear on a CX powered 'tadpole' trike . I've come up with a couple of ideas but I don't have lot of room so want the simplest way round. I thought about using a dynamo to charge a larger battery , driven by a V belt( or possible Gilmer ) from the rive shaft that could have polarity reversed to use as a motor ?

Also thought about a starter motor ,using a rubber drive cog si8mply pushed against the rear wheel as needed?
Olds

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »

Caravan mover.
A motor driven, sprung loaded knurled shaft, that presses against the tyre when needed. These come with a pivot and can be moved in and out of engagement by a lever.
Or give Quaife £750 + vat for their QBE35G
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:26:13 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »

I haven't spent £750 on the entire project! I've looked at the caravan mover but they look a bit big .
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

Or give Quaife £750 + vat for their QBE35G

Quaife are hoooooge! - quite apart from the cost!

caravan mover sounds like a good idea - anything that can move a caravan should have no problem with a trike.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

I'm looking at a similar situation for my 3 Wheeler, the caravan mover is too bulky and has been tried, not by me, without great success, I believe. The favoured approach seems to be a starter motor, or similar, driving the prop. shaft via possibly a hand engaged, suitably elect. interlocked,sprag clutch arrangement, or a spring loaded base plate for the motor,again hand engaged, or.........well you get the idea I'm sure!! like I say, I'm still trying to find a simple, inexpensive, solution, myself Wink Wink Wink Wink  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »

Maybe a similar configuration as this.................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
kapri

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »

I found this which looks interesting?

http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-Bikesports.htm

Olds

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »

Not sure how much room you may have and this is just an idea.
Could you use a reliant gearbox.
 Not quite as silly as might be thought. As an intermediate gearbox. Without the bell housing I think an overall length between input and output flange of 12" could be achieved. Width of 5" Height 8" approx. You would only need reverse and fourth of course.
(unless you needed to reduce gearing then third could be used) A lot cheaper than a Quaife box. The primary gear/input shaft may need extra support.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »

It's all very tight Dave, I'm retaining the standard wheelbase of the CX and it's also a sit on not in .Using a low mounted fuel tank as well, down between the rails and under me. I'm not making it easy for myself am I ?  Roll Eyes
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »

Shoulds started with a Goldwing - some of those have reverse.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

I was looking for a Wing and they were about for the money I had but then they seemed to dry up and /or double in price .Got 2 CX's for half the price of one tatty Wing.
kapri

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

Was thinking about 12 volt winch motors as well ,reversible by switch , need to think what it's going to dive though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: