May 05, 2024, 02:49:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 12v electrical "Hazard Lights" wiring query  (Read 3489 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« on: March 19, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »

can anyone explain in simple terms the difference between an "illuminated switch" - (that has 3 terminals = 1 feed from battery, 1 power out to whatever, 1 to earth) and a "double pole (hazard) switch"  Huh

ive used an illuminated switch,as above, with the power out going through a seperate "flasher unit" then from that ive linked into left/right (rear) indicator wires. the hazards all flash.... but on normal left/right turn, they still do. what have i done wrong Undecided

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »

An illuminated switch is simply ,in this case,is a single pole switch with built in indicator, hence the requirement for an 'Earth' or return pole, to show when the switch is in the "on" position. A Double pole switch is one that has two electrically separate, but mechanically linked. single pole switches,within the same moulded enclosure, i.e when the switch is in the "on" position, both separated poles are "made", and in the "off" position, both poles are "broken"...........ok,,,,,,,,Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
tbone

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »

Pete, what you have done,  is join both sides, indicator lamps together, by taking 2 feeds from one pole, you are effectively back feeding through your switch. You need a double pole double throw switch, one pole feeds the left side, the other feeds the right side.
You cannot use a standard illuminated on/off switch for hazards.
A single pole switch is a simple `feed in/ feed out through 1 connector`
a double pole is a `feed in / feed out through 2 seperate connectors at the same time`
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:18:53 PM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »

Erm, thats what I said.................................

trikerpete

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:15:07 PM »

thanks morrag & tbone, its a little clearer now you have explained that. im going to try and get a dedicated hazard switch in the morning and have another go at sorting it out. i thought i was being clever by using what switches i already had Roll Eyes  ive got to get it done or else cancel the mot for monday morning Smiley
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin dont you just love electrics Wink

tbone

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 05:36:16 AM »

Erm, thats what I said.................................

I know  Grin

You could stay with your existing setup........but you`d need to add a blocking diode to each feed to the lamps.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:46:10 AM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

Or, nip down to Halfords and buy a double pole,12v relay, then you can use your single pole,illuminated switch to control it.  Morrag

trikerpete

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »

aaaarrggghhhhhhhh tooooo much information  Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: