May 14, 2024, 05:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oi! One arm Bandit  (Read 2477 times)
ROD

« on: April 28, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »

Got a pic of that tool you made for the forks mate? Going to have a trial go at the seals on a spare set of forks I have.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:06:42 AM by ROD » Logged
one arm bandit

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »

yes rod ile post it up today. basically to hold the damper a long 10mm rod with a t handle and 28 i think nut welded on the end, you wont need this for usd forks( conventinal fork have slightly different fittings for the damper rod from make/make) and the seal basher was 1 3/4""  erw 150mm long and i slit down one side with the disc cutter to open it up a little put greese on the inside and just to make sure i didnt damage new seals i put the old ones upside down on  top of the new , works a treat. (to buy the two tools around £70 i looked at this option) its easy rod and you will never think about paying to have it done again.  if it ever stops hammering down for 2mins ile go get the tools out and take pics for you. Wink
ROD

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »

Ok thanks. Just went out there,followed instructions from a forum write up I found on USD Forks. Made a tool to allow a ratchet strap to attach to compress the spring,pulled it all apart in minutes! As you said,dont think I'll need your tool(ooer! Grin) but would be interesting to see.
   Now got to order the correct oem seals. Do the teflon coated rings wear much? Cos Im thinking if they wear,then the piston part of the fork will be sloppy in the tube,causing the seal to be inefective ??
  Thinking Ive still got to go to the bike shop that did them a couple of weeks ago,to show them that one is leaking after about 10 miles! Roll Eyes I think it may have been the same side that was leaking the worst before I got them done,so p'raps the teflon slider thingys are worn? The chrome etc looks in vg condition.
  Why oh why dont people do a proper job and advise customers that this may be the case??? Take the money and run?? surely not in this case,cos they couldnt have made a fortune on this job once the seals and oil were bought?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:34:06 AM by ROD » Logged
one arm bandit

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

i think they pass it on to the training monkeys, im not sure about the teflon but id have thought there very hard wearing on the bike intended these would have been built to take serious stick and last, personally id say they did a s**t job of the seals maybe used cheep or some they had lying around but for it to leak like you say the seal would have been damaged, which as you put them together youl see if your not carefull or dont bash them in straight or all the way,damage could accour.when refitting use plenty of greese too Wink
ROD

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »

OK thanks Luke.
 After looking at the way they go together,I can see that you'd need grease!. Im just in the middle of making a tool to re fit the seals. Used a empty tube that mastic comes in (gun type) . Its perfect fit round the fork leg.Ive then found a lump of s/s tube thats fits exactly over the plastic. Cut it down both sides and jubilee clip to hold it all together. Got to square off the end of  s/s tube in the lathe to bear on to the new seals. Will use your idea of the old seal as a 'ring' at the base,but will also have to cut this in two,to be able to remove it.
ROD

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »

After looking at it again,just realised i dont actually need to pull the spring back to remove the top cap from the central rod! Just undo the bottom bolt,and take the whole cartridge out! Im learning! Grin Glad Im practicing on an old fork then!
one arm bandit

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »

yeah the bolt at the bottom holds the damper/cartridge in, thats the tool i needed to hold the damper rod whilst undoing the bottom bolt as the rod just spun not being held, im glad youve cracked it rod i was in the same boat untill i got the things apart, remember to keep the old seals............. they be best taped to a brick and thrown through the window of the place you had them done a few weeks ago Cheesy
ROD

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »

Grin Grin
 Returned to the bike shop this morning with the trike.First thing he said was "but those forks arent the standard rake are they?" I just knew he would say that! He also said if he had known he would have recommended new bushes just to be sure.(I only took the legs to him originally) He offered to re do the dodgy seal but I said I would do the whole lot myself including the bushes. Anyways,we've now come to an agreement that I will take one of the legs to him to make sure that he gets the right size bushes,and he will order new seals/dust seals/bushes . Thinking about all Suzuki stuff. not pattern parts.Then I'll speak to him about a discount on price.Cant get the forks off for a couple of days,as leaving in about an hours time for my eye op,then swmbo aint gonna let me out there for a couple of days!May be able to get one of my lads to strip it for me under my supervision ,when he gets home from work tonight!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »

Take it easy mate. I could do with a team of garage monkeys too!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: