May 17, 2024, 08:53:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554147 times)
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #1530 on: October 06, 2016, 02:59:41 AM »

Following on from Mr Spanners' recent post, I've been thinking about converting my kickstart lever to an American style flat pedal too.  I'll need a tube with 2 flat blades for it to slide onto. I guess the original pedal arm would need turning down -although it won't fit in a lathe & would probably be just as easy to reduce by hand with a file. A steel tube with a brass sleeve in each end would do the trick, (the pedal needs to rotate on the lever as you kick it).
Some of the American XS guys machine a whole new arm & TIG weld it to the old lever, or in this example, weld a 10mm stud to the end of the original arm.
Just something to tinker with over the Winter.
What about using the axle and pipe with bearings from a bicycle pedal and modify it to fit and then tig weld it to the original kicker?

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Olds

« Reply #1531 on: October 06, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »

I kicked the bike over with the old Amal carbs on & it kicked back, giving me a whack on the arch of my foot that left me limping for days -a joy I'd forgotten from my youthful biking days.
Or you could get a pair of Goldtops with built in kicker plate (plus the obligatory seamans socks). Grin
Think there is an old pic of some scruffy young greaser, sitting on a Triumph, dressed in such a way on here somewhere. Wink
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:38:23 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1532 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »

Grin A long, long time ago Dave. Had a conversation with one of my old bike club members just last night via FaceBook, saying we must get together for a ride out somewhere in the Spring. Said we could meet at a pub, but neither of us drink any more, then we got into discussing our pensions -what the hell happened to those teenage hellraisers?!
Good idea Sid. I've got a friend who works in a bicycle shop. I'll enquire.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1533 on: October 06, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »

I once "lost" a sweptback pipe and short reverse cone silencer. We tied it back on with my seamans socks. Got home about 5 miles. Happy days.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1534 on: October 06, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »

Grin I was out with a bunch of the Basingstoke bikers in the early 80s. A dozen of us on 7 or 8 hardtail chops. One guy had long "tulip" silencers & lost one. We found it in a ditch & his passenger took his jumper off & wrapped the hot pipe in it until we could find a petrol station to try & fix it.
We rolled into the nearest station & he jumped off & wandered over to the kiosk. To our surprise the cashier leapt up, locked the door & grabbed the phone. What the ...?
Turned out she'd seen a bunch of bikers arrive & one approach her with what looked liked a shotgun hidden in a blanket. She thought we were going to rob the place.  Cheesy

One of my early chops.
Mates Geoff & Sally from those days -wonder what happened to them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:13:19 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Sid_Vicious

« Reply #1535 on: October 16, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »

Those pedals should easily adapt to fit your kicker...http://www.banggood.com/ROCKBROS-Mountain-Bike-Pedals-Double-Bearing-Aluminum-Alloy-Pedals-p-977652.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-relatedproducts

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1536 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »

They're vicious, spikey looking things!
I picked up a short length of 12mm i/d stainless tube the other day. That would be a good fit on the lever & fits nicely inside the rubber pedal I've got. Then I could weld flat plate either side of the tube to support the pedal, but there's no room for a brass bush of any sort inside it. I'm probably over-thinking this & it doesn't need a bearing or bush, just a good coating of grease.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1537 on: November 06, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »

A quick update for those that have asked-
Mr Dslam has a relative who's currently in & out of Hospital so he's not available to work on the bike for a while. Not a problem. It's safe & secure & sitting in it's own lock-up garage until he's ready to tackle it. Some things are more important than vehicles & I'm in no rush. Quite happy to admit I'm a fair weather rider these days -I wouldn't be out on it till the Spring now anyway, so it's there when he's free to do it.
In the meantime, I'll buy a second kick-start lever on Ebay & see about modifying it to take the American style pedal rubber.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1538 on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »

Mr Dslam's due to collect the bike tomorrow morning, to take to his place in Surrey for a bit of fine tuning.
In the meantime, I've been playing with a kickstart pedal. I bought a spare lever from Ebay in case I buggered up the original.
I sanded down the arm, using a flap wheel on the angle grinder, from about 15mm to 10. I've got a length of 12mm O.D stainless tube, which fits nicely inside the repro Harley rubber pedal, so that now slides over the arm with enough freeplay for a slap of grease between the two. I wondered about bearings & brass bushes & stuff, but decided it didn't need to be that complicated.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1539 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:02 PM »

The Harley style rubber's closed at the small end, so I used the stainless tube & a heavy hammer to punch a hole through it. Then I nipped to the local tool shop for an M10 stainless bolt & a couple of stainless washers.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1540 on: November 23, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »

Stainless tube cut to length & the bolt cut down to suit. I've chamfered the ends of the bolt & the arm for better weld penetration -don't want it snapping off when I swing on it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1541 on: November 23, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »

All put together to see what it looked like, but not yet welded.
I was going to use a Nyloc nut, but decided a stainless dome nut would cause me less injury should my foot slip off the pedal. I trimmed the bolt thread down until the nut bottomed out on it before it pinched the rubber up tight -the pedal has to revolve as the lever's swung to keep it flat under my foot. I'll ThreadLock the nut in place.
I've just leant my welder out for a few months, so now need to find someone to weld the bolt to the arm. It also needs a pair of triangular "wings" cut from flat stainless plate, to weld either side of the tube, to support the pedal, (the inside of the rubber's slotted to take them).
After quite badly bruising the arch of my foot kick starting the bike last time it was at Dslam's house, I hope this'll be more comfortable to use for an oldie like me.
Once it's welded, I'll get the lever powder coated black to match the gear lever on the bike.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:30:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #1542 on: November 23, 2016, 11:54:30 PM »

Hooray! Another piece of the puzzle nearly finished.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1543 on: November 24, 2016, 12:03:37 AM »

Smiley Slowly inching forward.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1544 on: November 24, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »

Nice to see Mr Dslam this morning.
He arrived with a van & collected the bike. It's going back to his workshop in Surrey for a bit of final fettling &, (hopefully), an MOT. Several jobs for him to do -fit & tune the new Amal carbs, heat & bend the sidestand a little so the bike doesn't stand quite so upright, check the wiring over & charge the battery, (no power at all last time I tried the key in the ignition), fit the appropriate sized fuses in the box as it's currently got 4 25amp ones fitted, & generally do anything he deems necessary to get the bike running & riding properly. I fully trust his judgement, so if he decides something needs changing, he has a free hand to do so -no point it being pretty if I can't ride it. I can build a bike around an engine, but I don't claim to be a mechanic so I'm happy to defer to his greater experience. 
Looking forward to the road test report.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: