May 17, 2024, 08:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554143 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1515 on: September 07, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »

Enjoying the space  Smiley
Ready when you are Mr Dslam.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1516 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:42 PM »

The pipes look great!  In fact the whole bike looks great!

That thing with kicking it on the sidestand - apart from the fact I didn't think any youngsters HAD bikes with kickstarts now, of course the yanks actually CALL it a kickstand don't they?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Chevy Rick

« Reply #1517 on: September 07, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »

Huh Top marks Bobby  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1518 on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »

Old school Jap bikes are very trendy at the moment with the Hipster bike crowd. They don't remember kickstarting old Japs, or Brits before that, as my generation did, so just do what they see on the TV/internet cos they think it looks cool. I think I'm just getting old & grumpy!
With Harleys, you need a decent swing cos they're so much bigger capacity -2 or 3 times the cc of an XS, but they have huge kickstands, designed just for that reason. Tsk -kids!  Angry
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:03:10 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Chevy Rick

« Reply #1519 on: September 07, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »

Angry I think I'm just getting old & grumpy!  Angry Join the club Sir Smiley
Olds

« Reply #1520 on: September 08, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »

Looking great Andy. A nice, cool bike with a lot of detail without it shouting 'hey look at me'.
With the side stand issue I'd be inclined to heat and bend it out a little, rather than shortening. Be slightly more stable that way. Probably best to bend it just below the spring attachment point.
I miss having a centre stand on bikes. Not for starting a bike on as that was a near sure way of having a bike fall on you, but for maintenance and the like. You can't even check the oil level on some bikes without someone else holding it vertical.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1521 on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »

I miss having a centre stand on bikes. Not for starting a bike on as that was a near sure way of having a bike fall on you, but for maintenance and the like. You can't even check the oil level on some bikes without someone else holding it vertical.
After trying one of these at my mate's place, decided to invest in one - great for maintenance jobs, incl lifting the rear wheel, but you do need a minimum amount of ground clearance to get the thing in place.
Saying that, if a mate helps lift the bike to start with, or one end of the bike is raised, say by wheeling onto some wood, it can be slid into position.
It can also take some of the weight off the tyres if a bike is left to stand for a long time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:09:52 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1522 on: September 08, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

I've looked at those Tony, but as you say, ground clearance is the issue. I'll make do with a big block of wood under one side of the frame for now.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1523 on: September 14, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »

Mr 'Slam isn't available for a couple of weeks yet, so I busied myself today fitting a pair of "Armadillo" locks to the garage door. All went surprisingly well until I was sweeping up at the end of the job & walked straight into the edge of the open door. Now sporting a large bump on my forhead. Yes, I did swear -quite a lot.
On the plus side, the locks should keep the Armadillos out.

Olds

« Reply #1524 on: September 15, 2016, 07:58:29 PM »

Never realised Armadillos were a problem in that part of town.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1525 on: September 15, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »

Yeah, you turn your back for 5 minutes & the garage is full of 'em.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1526 on: September 20, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »

Spoke to Mr Dslam this afternoon. He's fully booked for a couple of weeks, so it'll be early October now before he can take a look at the bike. Thinks he can sort out the flat battery & sidestand issues, as well as fitting & tuning the carbs though, then MOT it locally for me. If all goes well, I should be able to ride it home.  Grin So for now, it sits in it's own lock-up garage, awaiting collection.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1527 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »

Following on from Mr Spanners' recent post, I've been thinking about converting my kickstart lever to an American style flat pedal too. I kicked the bike over with the old Amal carbs on & it kicked back, giving me a whack on the arch of my foot that left me limping for days -a joy I'd forgotten from my youthful biking days. Hopefully the new, expertly tuned carbs will cure that problem, but I'm still thinking of converting the pedal anyway.
So I bought a repro Harley pedal rubber from Ebay for 4 quid. Looking at the slot in the end of it, I'll need a tube with 2 flat blades for it to slide onto. I guess the original pedal arm would need turning down -although it won't fit in a lathe & would probably be just as easy to reduce by hand with a file. A steel tube with a brass sleeve in each end would do the trick, (the pedal needs to rotate on the lever as you kick it). The new rubber's longer than the original so maybe drill & tap the end of the original lever & use a bolt with a large washer through the end of the rubber to retain it?
Some of the American XS guys machine a whole new arm & TIG weld it to the old lever, or in this example, weld a 10mm stud to the end of the original arm.
Just something to tinker with over the Winter.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1528 on: October 05, 2016, 08:34:43 PM »

My new rubber.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1529 on: October 05, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »

It would look like this.

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: