May 05, 2024, 02:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake upgrades  (Read 8054 times)
RobC

« on: July 02, 2005, 09:02:09 AM »

My trike runs the standard drum brakes on a reliant axle I'd like to upgrade to disc's can this be done? and how would i go about it.

Regards
Rob
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

Hiya Rob,
Welcome aboard. I'm no technical wizzard, (not called Manky for nothing!), but I'll help where I can.
Yes, of course you can discify your axle, (technical term!  Cheesy). I wrote an article for 100% Biker magazine on that very subject a year or so ago. Go to their website: www.100-biker.co.uk  & buy back issue number 44. Page 72. A series of photos, couple of pages of text & a diagram of the only part you'll need to make. The drawing is labelled as full size but was only really meant as a rough guide so check the hole centres against your axle before drilling. The large centre hole needs to be a millimetre or so smaller diameter.
Basically, chuck away the existing drum set-up, including the back plate, make up a steel plate as per the diagram, bolt it to the axle tube & bolt a VW Golf caliper & carrying bracket to it. Then fit a Vauxhall Nova disc in place of the drum. This requires two minutes on a lathe to open out the centre hole which locates on a shoulder on the hub. Alternatively, do as I did & remove the hub to machine down the shoulder cos it's a softer steel than the disc & once it's done you can replace the disc if it ever wears out with another standard sized one.
It has to be said that the braking efficiency won't be hugely improved compared to the drum set-up, but on my own Reliant trike I think that was down to the light weight of the vehicle -not enough traction for really good braking. If you're going for looks though, the disc set-up is far simpler & prettier. I know of at least a dozen trikes running this conversion now following the article so it must work O.K!
I haven't got a scanner so can't reproduce it here but will organise someone else to if you need it. I'm told there were actually two issue 44s of that magazinne due to a slip up in the editing, so if you order one stipulate you want the one with the disc article!
Hope you're gonna hang around for a while now you've found us? Should be fully up & running in a week or so. Grin
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 03:33:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
RobC

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:36:41 PM »

Hi Manky
That would be handy if someone could scan me in the article and email to me please.

Cheers

Rob
RobC

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:43:45 PM »

A member of the msn group TRIKE LAND called TrikerPete suggested I try this site will recommend it to the brothers n sisters at Caldarium mcc
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:32:10 PM »

Hiya Rob,
Ah, young Pete. Say Hello from me next time you speak to him please! He & I are off to help a mutual friend get his trike back on the road this weekend. I'll post some piccies just as soon as I learn how! Hope you'll bear with me here. I'm totally computer illiterate. Spent years avoiding the things cos they just didn't interest me, so now I've got a lot of catching up to do!
Under the all powerful Yoda's guidance I'll begin uploading articles, show reports & photos next week. Took 400 piccies at 2 different meets this weekend alone! Need lots of input to make this forum -& the rest of the site- a success, so you come on back y'hear!  Wink
Oh yeah, nearly forgot. I'll be visiting Yoda Towers next week so will scan the disc article & despatch it to you then.

RobC

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »

Thanks Manky
I've put a link on my website so me mates can join in aswell. Any computer stuff you need help give me a shout I speak their language (complete jibberish most of the time)

Regards
Rob
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 07:20:11 AM »

Yours a trikey site then? Send me a link or banner & I'll get Yoda to selotape it in here too.  Smiley

RobC

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 09:20:01 AM »

The sites still growing its about bike/trike stuff and people who have fought and won or battling the big C.

Rob

http://groups.msn.com/RobertC/robswebpage.msnw
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »

Thanks Rob. Will get Yodie to sort a link soon.

yoda
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »

here is the article
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Trikespageimages/discbrake/disc.htm

Yoda

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
RobC

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 05:05:39 PM »

Cheers Yoda
When i got the time and spare cash gonna do the conversion, am trying to find origins of the wheels on the back of me trike at the mo, wwas told they were off a astra?

Regards
Rob
ska-man
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 06:27:50 AM »

This is some pics of a Manky monkey conversion. They shall be used on my trike, that I am rebuilding(Mankys)old green un.
ska-man
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 06:29:06 AM »

ska-man
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 06:35:25 AM »

Hope you don't mined me posting the pics Manky,should of asked first I suppose, to late now Iv done it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 09:08:10 AM »

Morning Sir!
Coo, you were posting bright & early this morning weren't you! Thanks for those. They reckon a picture saves a thousand words don't they, so I should be able to shut up for a week or so now! Well done mate. Nice & clear -even I can understand how it works!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: