May 12, 2024, 08:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Medic! Monkey down, Monkey down!  (Read 3181 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »

We'll, that's me off work sick for a week.
Been suffering with knee pain for a couple of weeks, limping around my Postal delivery. The pain seems to move around from under the knee cap to the side, to behind the knee, depending on whether I'm walking up or down hill etc.
I was marching along the street this morning when my leg gave out under me & I ended up kneeling on the pavement. Took me 5 minutes to stand up again.
Royal Mail aren't known as a caring employer -he's dead? Step over him & carry on working -so to hell with them, I'm taking the week off to rest it. 30 years in the job plus middle age are starting to catch up with me Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Iceman

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »

Andy,
You have my sympathy even if you don't have the Post Office's.
Is there a Sports Injury Clinic near you, because these guys know about leg injuries and will ,literally, have you on your feet in no time. You don't need to be an athlete to go along to see them. I'm not and I've been twice: once for a lower back injury which was sorted with a course of acupuncture and secondly for a knee injury, which turned out to be an ankle injury. On both occasions, the consultation was with the physio and the doctor. They sorted my knee by giving me inserts for my shoes! NHS physios are overworked and used to dealing with an older,less fit clients base, whereas SIC physios are used to a fitter, dare I say it, more motivated patient.You can self refer to most of them but I'm sure you GP would refer you if you explained your circumstances. As men of a certain age we have to look after ourselves so don't just sit there hoping it will go away....
Lecture over. Any further question to Dr Iceman c/o MMM!

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »

Cheesy
Thank you Doctor.
I'm definitely not the fittest guy in the World. I don't smoke or drink & walk a lot, but I'm overweight & have a lousy diet. My "van buddy" at work, (we work in pairs these days), is a bit of a health nut & runs 20k a week. He's used a sports physio, so I'll ask him about it.

Iceman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »

Cheesy
 I don't smoke or drink & walk a lot,

Don't walk a lot? You're a postie! How can you not walk a lot? I bet you're fitter than you think. Get well soon Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »

Smiley Maybe I should reword that-
I don't smoke or drink, but walk a lot.
Apparently we average 10 miles a day, so I walk 2 marathons a week.

Iceman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »

My mate, Colin, became a postie. He was unemployed and said that being a postie was better than walking the streets....

the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »

so being a postie walking the streets ? streetwalker ??
merv

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »

All the best Andy, hope it clears up soon

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:13 PM »

Another yes here for a sports physio!   They will actually work on the problem whereas an NHS physio will just have a feel of it and give you some exercises.   Sports physios want people to be fit and pain-free but the NHS just wants them to go away and stop complaining.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »

Good advice re sports physios - they really know their stuff, your GP is just that, a GP "take theae pills and come back in two weeks"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »

Smiley I've spent the whole day in bed, just resting it. Took a walk down to the corner shop at the end of the street a while ago & it's still painful. I pick up lots of sprained ankles & back aches & stuff, but for some reason this one just feels like it's going to be more long term. Really hope not cos I enjoy walking. Maybe it really is time to start thinking about slowing down & applying for a 3 day week, job sharing position at Royal Mail.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:07:16 PM »

Until you know what's wrong with it, you can't know whether it just needs rest or whether somnething else will make it better.  See an expert, and yes, cut your hours!   I didn't do it when I could and will always regret it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
JayJay

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:10:44 AM »

Hope you feel better soon Andy.

My Postie has just let his usual customers know he has changed his round after 14 years. His knees are knackered so they have moved him to the town centre round (it's a small town) to help him. He worked out he did 14 miles a day so about 51,000 in the 14 years he has done this round. He sent everybody a card thanking us for tea, ice cream, cakes, chats and the use of the loo and especially for all the Christmas cash. I bet he won't get the latter in town. We will miss him.

Perhaps you should ask for a route with less walking. Surely they have an Occupational Health department you could talk to that will take into account your knee problems. I know you say Royal Mail isn't known as a caring employer but they have to accommodate you by law if you have a health problem especially as your job has most likely contributed to it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:46:39 PM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »

JJ,let me tell you big companies such as ROYAL MAIL..TRANSPORT for LONDON etc do not give a rats arse about individuals..and will (and do ) get away with many rules they are supposed to follow..for them it's all about the performance and times..and they will tell lies about your work record..( long story ) Undecided

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »

What he said Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: