May 20, 2024, 01:46:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554677 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1410 on: June 14, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »

Trimmed a little more off the righthand exhaust today, where it pushes into the head. Not easy trying to work in 3 planes -trying to get the pipe to clear the front frame tubes without hitting the engine, but also need it to lay horizontally along the side of the bike & line up with the lefthand pipe. It has to exit the cylinder head at 90 degrees to the port as well. I've taped the new gaskets & the stainless washers that'll form the pipe flanges into the cylinder head ports.
I went to see the exhaust guy again this afternoon, about the 'zorsts on my truck, but had decided I didn't need to ask him to alter the bend on the bike pipe. Tried it when I got back this evening -yup, it needs tweaking. I think the bend that wraps around the frame needs pulling in a little tighter, which might also help it line up with the other pipe. One of those agonisingly slow, bit by bit kinda jobs, but I'd rather take it slow than hack a chunk off the pipe then find it's too short.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:59:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1411 on: June 14, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

The new pipes are 1/8" bigger diameter than the old ones, cos the bender, (maybe I shouldn't call him that), couldn't match the radiuses I had cos I'd made them from several different curves welded together. Being that much fatter in every direction, (like me), means less clearance everywhere. I'll continue tweaking & hopefully they'll end up where they're supposed to be.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1412 on: June 14, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »

New speedo cable guide made. It's an aluminium tube with a PTFE sleeve inside it & flared ends. Tried fitting it this evening, but the inner cable's about 1/4" too long on the bottom end, so I'll have to trim it with an angle grinder at Loon's workshop tomorrow.
No discernible progress, but things are gradually getting done.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:43:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1413 on: June 14, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

Nearly there mate Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1414 on: June 14, 2016, 08:45:22 PM »

Yeah, nearly back to where I was a month ago. Keep telling me I'm winning please cos sometimes I'm not so sure.  Tongue

fifer

« Reply #1415 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »

You`re winning

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1416 on: June 14, 2016, 09:40:23 PM »

The pipes look ace Mr M, as does the whole plot, so when your ready then!! Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1417 on: June 15, 2016, 04:46:47 PM »

Smiley Mr Loon's re primered the tank today.
I went to the lock-up & made a template from a length of stiff wire for the bend in the exhaust that needs tweaking a little. I'll take it back to Torque Technique in Salisbury when I collect my truck exhausts in a few days. Trimmed a few mill off the speedo cable at loon's on my way home, tried it in place on the bike & found it needs a couple of mill off the other end now -so it'll be back to the workshop again tomorrow. I swear I spend more time ferrying stuff about than I do putting it together.
Got rained off again.

Bus Boy

« Reply #1418 on: June 16, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »

:)KEEP GOING ANDY! or you will end up like me with a very tidy looking doorstop which gets in the way every time you want to do some thing in your workspace!!!!!! Sad

I never wanted to be normal anyways!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1419 on: June 19, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »

Really fed up with building stuff at the moment. It really is just the thought that I won't be doing this again that's keeping me going. Looking forward to the riding & driving, but the building bit's no fun at all.

Spent a couple of days on & off, fiddling with the exhausts, trimming the front end of the right hand one bit by bit to fit tighter around the frame tubes. The bend radius is slightly wider than the old pipe cos mine was a compound bend made from several different pipe sections welded together, which the pipe bendy guy couldn't match. The new pipe's also slightly fatter, to get the bends as close as possible, which messes up the clearance between pipe, frame & engine. Got another 5mm to take off the pipe end today, (no power supply at the lock-up so I've measured, dismantled, carted across town to Loon's workshop, cut with the angle grinder, ferried back & re-fitted half a dozen times). Can't get the pipes to line up, one above the other down the side of the bike though. Starting to think I may have to cut the right one, across the front of the engine, to pull it in tighter. Bloomin' annoying cos the whole point of the new pipes was to do them in one piece, cos the old ones had fractured where I'd welded them & ground the welds down flush. If I have to, I'll take them to someone to TIG weld for me. More expense, but as I said, I'm only doing this once.
Also got problems with the speedo cable. A small job but just not going right. Mr CopperSmith very kindly made me a new inner cable with the correct squared off ends to fit the speedo & drive unit, but it's slightly too long, (my fault not his). I had to make the angled aluminium guide tube with the cable already inside it cos the ends didn't flex enough to fit around the bend. So now I need to make a whole new set-up. Stuff it -I've ordered a new cable for a fiver from Ebay & will look again at having it shortened. Yet more expense.
Worried about the complete lack of life when I tried the ignition key the other day. Nothing. No flicker of light, horn or anything. The bike had been caught outside in the rain for 10 minutes the day before. Maybe something's shorted but the fuses all look O.K. Haven't got any means of testing anything, (or the knowledge to do it). It's a brand new battery & may not have had a proper charge yet, (has to be done in situ cos I have to lift the bike to drop the battery out from underneath), but there ought to be something in it. I'll see if I've got a test bulb somewhere I can put across the terminals.
Deadlines have come & gone & after thinking it just needed a quick carb tune up, I'm back to where I was 6 months ago. I love this bike & I'm really looking forward to riding it, but it's tough keeping the enthusiasm going when I'm endlessly pouring money & time into it & getting nowhere.  Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1420 on: June 19, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »

Righthand pipe trimmed again. I've wedged everything in place with balls of masking tape to see how it sits.
The right pipe's a little closer to the frame down tube than I'd like, but if I cut any more off to bring it back further, it'll foul against the engine, so will do.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1421 on: June 19, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

The pipes need to run parallel to each other along the side of the bike -if the gap between them isn't equal all the way along it'll look horrible. The left one also needs to sit clear of the engine casing so it doesn't rattle against it. I can trim the back ends to the same length once they fit properly.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1422 on: June 19, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »

But the top, (righthand), pipe hangs out beyond the lower one by about 1/2 an inch. That just looks wrong, as well as meaning the hot pipe'd be closer to my ankle when riding.
So it looks like I'll have to cut the right pipe where it crosses in front of the engine & remove a section. Once it's welded back together that'd bring the 2 pipes into line. I hope.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1423 on: June 20, 2016, 09:46:08 AM »

The pipes need to run parallel to each other along the side of the bike -if the gap between them isn't equal all the way along it'll look horrible. The left one also needs to sit clear of the engine casing so it doesn't rattle against it. I can trim the back ends to the same length once they fit properly.

Are you sure you want them the same length - I think they look rather good in that pic!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:49:00 AM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1424 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »

Cheesy The first set started off slash cut the other way, to follow the line of the frame. By doing that, by sheer chance, they ended up exactly the same length. I won't trim them until they fit properly.
Rain here this morning, so I gave my truck project a miss after work & worked on the bike instead. Then the sun came out. Decided to bite the bullet & cut the righthand pipe. Spent 2 hours after work trying to juggle the 2 pipes & decide how much needed cutting out. In the end I just took a centimetre out. Seems to be about right.
I'd hoped to get them over to my mate Bernie in Berkshire for TIG welding but ran out of time, so will go after work tomorrow.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: