May 17, 2024, 09:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554148 times)
andbolt0

« Reply #1035 on: January 02, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »

or tuck ya trouser leg in ya sock
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1036 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »

Or some funky metalflake cycle clips.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hunter

« Reply #1037 on: January 03, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »

Or get the old high boots and seaboot socks out.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1038 on: January 03, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »

Grin ex Police issue.
Pouring with rain & cold & miserable here today -again. I've been to the garage to retouch the paintwork around the edge of the electrics box that I've modified, but it's too cold for paint spraying. It just "blooms" to a milky grey finish. Going to have to wait for a warmer day, but need to get that done so I can re-fit parts around it. Not impressed with 2016 so far!  Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1039 on: January 03, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »

Same bloke 35 years later -where did that kid go.  Tongue
A photo that surfaced on Facebook this morning. Lucy trying to steal my bike at the Rocking Jalopys show in Holland, back in November.

hunter

« Reply #1040 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »

Grin ex Police issue.
Pouring with rain & cold & miserable here today -again. I've been to the garage to retouch the paintwork around the edge of the electrics box that I've modified, but it's too cold for paint spraying. It just "blooms" to a milky grey finish. Going to have to wait for a warmer day, but need to get that done so I can re-fit parts around it. Not impressed with 2016 so far!  Sad

I was thinking the same thing.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/spares_photos/001_zps5afc2596.jpg
Manky's XS650 Yamaha

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1041 on: January 03, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »

-where did that kid go.  Tongue

*sigh* Different people in a different world mate.

hunter

« Reply #1042 on: January 03, 2016, 05:05:13 PM »

Defiantly a different world.

I
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1043 on: January 03, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

Blimey Hunter,
A chopped AMC lightweight Shocked
hunter

« Reply #1044 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »

Blimey Hunter,
A chopped AMC lightweight Shocked

Yep them were the day's.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1045 on: January 06, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »

Finally, a little progress today.
It was my day off so I was at the garage at the crack of lunchtime. I've been trying to repaint the modified electrics box for a week but it's been too cold. Seems to have eventually worked out O.K now, so I was able to refit the drive chain & tension it, then swapped the gearshift shaft for the new one I bought from Yambits, with a new oil seal too. The splines that the gear lever push onto were completely buggered on the old shaft. A previous owner had tried to fix it by cross drilling the shaft & presumably bolting through the lever. Not a lot of metal left around the hole as you can see, so eventually it would shear off. Just as well to replace it while I'm building the bike.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:58:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1046 on: January 06, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

At the other end, the shaft operates a spring loaded ratchet that clicks the gear selector drum round. I adjusted this as the manual says, to give an equal amount of movement up & down through the gears. I lubricated everything with engine oil as I went, but even rocking the back wheel to move the front sprocket as I selected the gears, the action seems a bit clunky, taking a good thunk of the gear lever to select the gears, but as there's no other adjustment, I'm hoping that's just because there's no oil in the engine & no clutch at the moment, (the handlebars are being re powder-coated so no lever fitted). I've watched a couple of "How to" videos on YouTube which suggest selection will be much smoother with the engine running too. Ain't technology wonderful. Not sure how to do something -call up YouTube on your SmartPhone & work through it step by step in the garage.
Refitted the clutch, with a new bearing & new friction plates & rather fortunately, Mr Baychimp arrived to see how I was doing, just at the very moment I realised I didn't have a torque wrench for the centre nut. A quick trip across town to his house to collect his & it was done. I replaced the engine side casings on each side, but my LED worklamp decided to run out of charge at that point, so I was just able to refit the kickstart & gearlever before calling it a day.
Next job will be to fill it with oil & see where it leaks out, then, once the handlebars & switchgear are back on, see Nathan, (Galaxie 500), who's going to wire it up for me.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1047 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »

Filled it with oil this evening -no leaks so far. Very slightly overfilled but I'm not too worried cos the motor & filters were completely dry & I'll change the oil after the first 500 miles anyway. Got me wondering though -I filled it & checked the level with the bike on the sidestand. The filler's on the right & the dipstick goes right down into the bottom left corner of the casing. With the bike leaning to the left, would the level be higher or lower, or the same, than if the bike was upright? Just curious Smiley

Olds

« Reply #1048 on: January 08, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »

It should show as slightly higher than when upright. Once you get it upright and run for a bit you may still need to top up.
If I remember rightly, early bikes (pre 75 ish) had a problem with 'heavy breathing' if filled to the high mark on the dipstick.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1049 on: January 08, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »

Yeah, the manual shows less oil capacity for later engines.
Nipped over to the powder coaters after work this afternoon & picked up the re-coated handlebars, chainguard & side panel. Re-fitted the bars & their levers, master cylinder & switchgear, but will leave the chainguard & the modified side panel it bolts to until Nathan has wired it up, hopefully in a week or 2.
The clutch lever feels very heavy but I haven't adjusted it yet so should be better with some freeplay in it.
Working by the light of my LED worklamp -30 quid well spent at the local tool shop.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: